High Street chain collapse sweepstake

sqwidge1978

Alexia wrote: Tue 25 Apr, 2017 21.15
Martin Phillp wrote: Tue 25 Apr, 2017 16.22 I don't see the point in Woolies coming back. What they did sell was overpriced and could be purchased cheaper elsewhere.

As mentioned Wilko has cornered part of Woolies market with household and pick 'n' mix products, while Poundland has the budget end.
And every other damn shop on the high street. It would just be a B&M / Home Bargains mk2.
I see Home Bargains as the new woolworths getting right what they didn't. Such as selling staple Groceries.
Andrew

I think it was a masterstroke that Wilko smartened up their image just as Woolworths closed, previously they had that old logo and dated look up to that point and did come across as a glorified pound shop where you'd get the impression you'd be buying tat. These days its fairly middle of the road and you know if you bought something it'll be decent quality and not pound shop rubbish.
WillPS

Andrew wrote: Thu 27 Apr, 2017 20.59 I think it was a masterstroke that Wilko smartened up their image just as Woolworths closed, previously they had that old logo and dated look up to that point and did come across as a glorified pound shop where you'd get the impression you'd be buying tat. These days its fairly middle of the road and you know if you bought something it'll be decent quality and not pound shop rubbish.
Yes, although I believe it was as much down to good luck with timing as anything, as management of the business was handed down to the next generation of the Wilkinson family at almost exactly that time.

They are decent shops. The whole customer experience has improved loads too (service in particular!) - I just wish they'd do something about the awful drop ceilings and exposed fluorescent tubes most of their shops have.
sqwidge1978

WillPS wrote: Thu 27 Apr, 2017 21.22
Andrew wrote: Thu 27 Apr, 2017 20.59 I think it was a masterstroke that Wilko smartened up their image just as Woolworths closed, previously they had that old logo and dated look up to that point and did come across as a glorified pound shop where you'd get the impression you'd be buying tat. These days its fairly middle of the road and you know if you bought something it'll be decent quality and not pound shop rubbish.
Yes, although I believe it was as much down to good luck with timing as anything, as management of the business was handed down to the next generation of the Wilkinson family at almost exactly that time.

They are decent shops. The whole customer experience has improved loads too (service in particular!) - I just wish they'd do something about the awful drop ceilings and exposed fluorescent tubes most of their shops have.
Tony Wilkinson (son of the founder) retired in 2005, with his Niece Karin Swann and his Daughter Lisa Wilkinson taking control with each family taking a 50% stake in the company. Karin sold he share to her cousin Lisa who gained full control of the company.

The new modern Wilkinson rebrand appeared 3 years after Tony stepped down in 2007, with the updated Wilko Brand making its first appearance on a concept store in Crawley, followed by edmonton Geen in 2102 before being rolled out nationwide in 2014.
JAS84

Handmade Burger Co is in administration. 9 out of 29 branches are already shut.
http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/whats-on ... ade-179638
woah

Store Twenty One - a store usually found on horrible high streets selling cheap rubbish - seems to have finally given up the ghost after going insolvent last month. Their website is still online but stores failed to open over the weekend.

The store near here had no signs of impending closure, just a half price sale with poorly hand written signage in the windows, which is 100% normal. It's now just sat there with the shutters down with no explanation at all as to why it isn't open. A few local newspapers seem to have covered it and they've had no luck getting any statement out of Store Twenty One.
Martin Phillp

woah wrote: Mon 10 Jul, 2017 21.17 Store Twenty One - a store usually found on horrible high streets selling cheap rubbish - seems to have finally given up the ghost after going insolvent last month. Their website is still online but stores failed to open over the weekend.
Was much better as QS when they also sold mens clothes. My local store before it closed last year also sold tat like BHS did in it's final years and axed men's clothing for cushions that nobody ever bought.
TVF's London Lite.
Andrew

woah wrote: Mon 10 Jul, 2017 21.17 Store Twenty One - a store usually found on horrible high streets selling cheap rubbish - seems to have finally given up the ghost after going insolvent last month. Their website is still online but stores failed to open over the weekend.

The store near here had no signs of impending closure, just a half price sale with poorly hand written signage in the windows, which is 100% normal. It's now just sat there with the shutters down with no explanation at all as to why it isn't open. A few local newspapers seem to have covered it and they've had no luck getting any statement out of Store Twenty One.
Usually found in old Woolworths in secondary towns in my experience
Martin Phillp

Store Twenty One is in liquidation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40571649
TVF's London Lite.
woah

Martin Phillp wrote: Tue 11 Jul, 2017 20.46 Store Twenty One is in liquidation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40571649
See the last three posts :D
JAS84

Toys R Us has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 678069001/