High Street chain collapse sweepstake

woah

My local My Local has also closed - seemingly over the weekend. I don't know how they got rid of the stock so quickly - perhaps they didn't...

On another note - one of my local Co-ops seems to be preparing for a major refit. It's an ex-Somerfield store that received a much-needed refurb when it became the Co-operative five years ago and is still pretty tidy inside cosmetically, but the outside remains a bit garden-shed like. I think it'll be the first rebranded store around here.

There's some not very well placed signage in the window about the planned closure (with a date yet to be revealed) and the pop up store. The planning documents show a significant improvement to the exterior - it looks like they're changing some of the interior layout too based on some of the windows being blocked out/opened up - which is interesting since they already changed it quite significantly during the last refurb.
WillPS

james2001 wrote:Nottingham train station's going to be without a shop now the My Local's gone!
You'll have to walk all of 20m to the Tesco Express.
WillPS

woah wrote:My local My Local has also closed - seemingly over the weekend. I don't know how they got rid of the stock so quickly - perhaps they didn't...

On another note - one of my local Co-ops seems to be preparing for a major refit. It's an ex-Somerfield store that received a much-needed refurb when it became the Co-operative five years ago and is still pretty tidy inside cosmetically, but the outside remains a bit garden-shed like. I think it'll be the first rebranded store around here.

There's some not very well placed signage in the window about the planned closure (with a date yet to be revealed) and the pop up store. The planning documents show a significant improvement to the exterior - it looks like they're changing some of the interior layout too based on some of the windows being blocked out/opened up - which is interesting since they already changed it quite significantly during the last refurb.
I can't view that file - which branch is it?

The Co-op nearest to me (the absolutely tiny one with a Petrol Station on East Bank Road) closes soon, as does the former Somerfield beside the Peace Gardens. It appears the flagship Somerfield in Sherwood, Nottingham (which was the one on the Press Release when the chain was bought out) is also closing. Do we know who's buying these stores?

I imagine Nisa stopped supplying My Local pretty sharpish once the news came through.
woah

WillPS wrote:
woah wrote:My local My Local has also closed - seemingly over the weekend. I don't know how they got rid of the stock so quickly - perhaps they didn't...

I can't view that file - which branch is it?

The Co-op nearest to me (the absolutely tiny one with a Petrol Station on East Bank Road) closes soon, as does the former Somerfield beside the Peace Gardens. It appears the flagship Somerfield in Sherwood, Nottingham (which was the one on the Press Release when the chain was bought out) is also closing. Do we know who's buying these stores?

I imagine Nisa stopped supplying My Local pretty sharpish once the news came through.
It looks like the file links are only valid per user session - try this one instead and browse to the Signage document. It's the White Lane store at Gleadless.

The Co-op have sold a number of stores to Budgens - perhaps the Nottingham store has been sold to them? The Pinstone Street store is definitely due to become a Budgens shortly, it's already having a closing down sale. I've no explanation for the East Bank Road store though, it's a bit of an oddball but it's been a Co-op as long as I can remember.
WillPS

Ahhah! Looks nice - I just wish they could do something about those upper floor windows which look like they'll be sticking out like a sore thumb.
Charlie Wells

woah wrote:On another note - one of my local Co-ops seems to be preparing for a major refit. It's an ex-Somerfield store that received a much-needed refurb when it became the Co-operative five years ago and is still pretty tidy inside cosmetically, but the outside remains a bit garden-shed like. I think it'll be the first rebranded store around here.

The former Somerfield stores have been sold and are being re-branded as Budgens. Our local one closed at the weekend and is due to re-open in about a fortnight. I'm just hoping that when it opens they'll either have added a couple self-checkouts or employed a few more staff. Since the Co-operative took over our Somerfields the amount of staff significantly decreased and it was common for the only the kiosk tills to be open instead of the normal checkouts. They did a good job at discouraging shoppers to visit by not having enough tills open, resulting in queues to be served.
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."
woah

Not all of the ex-Somerfield stores are becoming Budgens - it's 36 stores which presumably aren't working well for the Co-op.
Martin Phillp

woah wrote:Not all of the ex-Somerfield stores are becoming Budgens - it's 36 stores which presumably aren't working well for the Co-op.
Indeed, mine is an ex Somerfield, very busy and is staying with the Co-op.
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

woah wrote:Not all of the ex-Somerfield stores are becoming Budgens - it's 36 stores which presumably aren't working well for the Co-op.
I think there's significant overlap as well. The Sherwood store I mentioned is about 50m from a pre-existing Co-op. The Somerfield was a bit bigger and had its own car park, but the official reason for keeping both was that the Co-op was small enough to stay open on Sundays

The one by the Peace Gardens is not that far from the one in the old department store (although nowhere near as close, and you would have thought a far better location generally).
Finn

woah wrote:My local My Local
I see what you did there ;)
Martin Phillp

My Local has gone into administration. It's believed according to the BBC that some stores have been sold to the Co-op.
TVF's London Lite.