High Street chain collapse sweepstake

all new Phil

WillPS wrote:HMV is shutting another handful of stores.

Kettering
Newport
Islington
Leamington Spa
Oxford Street (downsizing)
They're also relocating the Trafford Centre store (there's currently a big relocation "stick liquidation" sale on complete with that POS the administrators seem to use).
Burtons went from the Trafford Centre a few months ago. Replaced by a Victoria's Secret...
It's moved back in with Miss Selfridge where it used to be.
Finn

nwtv2003 wrote:Altrincham used to have a McDonald's in the town centre until the mid 2000's since then they relocated to a retail park about 2/3 miles away and last I checked it still remained boarded up.
The one in Stretford (Manchester) closed a couple of years back, which was something of a surprise after their years of expansion.
Finn

all new Phil wrote:
Burtons went from the Trafford Centre a few months ago. Replaced by a Victoria's Secret...
It's moved back in with Miss Selfridge where it used to be.
Ah. Proves I haven't been in the Trafford Centre for ages.
ashley b

all new Phil wrote:

Kettering
Newport
Islington
Leamington Spa
They're also relocating the Trafford Centre store (there's currently a big relocation "stick liquidation" sale on complete with that POS the administrators seem to use).
The HMV Store on Manchester Market Street is the same, relocating to the Arndale (though possibly only temporarily while the existing store is split into separate units).
*whistle*
Martin Phillp

HMV in Stratford-upon-Avon is also closing this month.
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

gottago wrote:

Already? It's only been open three months and always seems busy.

I struggle to see how any shop on Oxford Street can fail to be a success with such massive footfall. I can only assume the rents are so sky high that they take a massive chunk out of the profits.
It's the older larger one which is closing, not the new 'original' one.
Martin Phillp

Two to add to HMV's closure list in Edinburgh.

http://www.scotsman.com/business/retail ... -1-3256008

As for the soon to close HMV in Oxford Street, it had been for some time been too big for the business with the basement area especially being used more for storage than retail space and is in need of some TLC which Sports Direct will give.

The new store by Bond Street tube while compact and a tiny bit cramped is an improvement, the air con works for starters!
TVF's London Lite.
thegeek

Alexia wrote:Interesting. I must now find a Wimpy.
There's a lot more of them about than I'd have thought. They also seem to have changed their logo since I last saw it - best post in the other thread.
barcode wrote:Glasgow has 14 stores in the city centre
I take it you were referring to Greggs? Despite this, it's no longer heart attack capital of the UK.

The Greggs outside Glasgow Central station is open late at weekends - which means you can have a post-club sausage roll while waiting for a taxi. And that's not a euphemism.
Martin Phillp

HMV's Oxford Circus store is closing on Sunday.
TVF's London Lite.
Gavin Scott
Admin

thegeek wrote:
Alexia wrote:Interesting. I must now find a Wimpy.
There's a lot more of them about than I'd have thought. They also seem to have changed their logo since I last saw it - best post in the other thread.
barcode wrote:Glasgow has 14 stores in the city centre
I take it you were referring to Greggs? Despite this, it's no longer heart attack capital of the UK.

The Greggs outside Glasgow Central station is open late at weekends - which means you can have a post-club sausage roll while waiting for a taxi. And that's not a euphemism.
I'm seldom in the city and even I did that on the way home last time.

Tasty noms.
Martin Phillp

Kettering's HMV has been saved after a three year lease has been signed on their site.

http://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/new ... -1-5801314
TVF's London Lite.