High Street chain collapse sweepstake

User avatar
WillPS
Posts: 1972
Joined: Tue 22 Apr, 2008 18.32
Location: Carlton
Contact:

Wed 23 May, 2012 11.38

JAS84 wrote:They should've done what Santander did, and closed some branches after they took over Birthdays. In Hull, there was a Bradford and Bingley right opposite an Alliance & Leicester, with an Abbey a couple of streets away. Though all three were initially rebranded as Santander after they bought B&B and A&L at the start of the credit crunch, the former B&B has since closed down, presumably when the lease expired.
Not seen any evidence of that in Sheffield, where from the Cathedral tram stop you are about 50m from any one of the three. Must be kind of unpleasant for those working there as two lots must know it can't go on!

Clintons did close quite a few Birthdays (by comparison to what GAME did with Gamestation!).
Image
Whataday
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri 22 Aug, 2003 00.08
Location: Cardiff
Contact:

Wed 23 May, 2012 15.10

There are 4 Santanders on Cardiff's Queen Street, two of which are former A&L, B&B, and next door to each other, another is directly opposite. They've branded one of them into a Student Finance Branch, whatever that is, but they all function as the same thing.
Whataday
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri 22 Aug, 2003 00.08
Location: Cardiff
Contact:

Wed 23 May, 2012 15.36

cwathen wrote:I'd say their biggest issue is the very same one that Game have - they have a ridiculously expansive store estate.
Peacocks also fell into this category in some areas. See also Holland & Barrett.

(Incidentally, one of the 3 Clintons stores in Cardiff was recently cut in half, with a Holland & Barrett store taking up half of the shop front, but only about a third of the store inside, meaning the 'store room' door in H&B leads to the Clintons store, and both units share a storeroom.)
Chris
Posts: 845
Joined: Fri 15 Aug, 2003 19.03
Location: Surrey

Thu 24 May, 2012 16.34

JAS84 wrote:They should've done what Santander did, and closed some branches after they took over Birthdays. In Hull, there was a Bradford and Bingley right opposite an Alliance & Leicester, with an Abbey a couple of streets away. Though all three were initially rebranded as Santander after they bought B&B and A&L at the start of the credit crunch, the former B&B has since closed down, presumably when the lease expired.
In my local town there are 3 Santander branches, two are pretty much next to each other as one was an A&L, and another is about 10 minutes away in a market square, which was a B&B.

I presume the unwillingness to close down a branch if they're in the same locality is probably due to leases more than anything - but it does look rather ridiculous having two of the same banks next to each other / in the same street.
LickOfPaint
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue 12 Jun, 2012 12.19

Tue 12 Jun, 2012 12.24

In light of some inside info I've had sent to me, I reckon Blacks, Millets and JD Sports are all going to come crashing down very shortly...unless they can get someone big to buy them/bail them out. :ugeek:

The only difference is that their high street presence will not be missed.
User avatar
DVB Cornwall
Posts: 518
Joined: Fri 24 Jun, 2005 21.42

Tue 12 Jun, 2012 17.44

JAS84 wrote:They should've done what Santander did, and closed some branches after they took over Birthdays. In Hull, there was a Bradford and Bingley right opposite an Alliance & Leicester, with an Abbey a couple of streets away. Though all three were initially rebranded as Santander after they bought B&B and A&L at the start of the credit crunch, the former B&B has since closed down, presumably when the lease expired.
I'm not aware of any Closures of Santander branches in Cornwall.
Image
Alexia
Posts: 2966
Joined: Sat 01 Oct, 2005 17.50

Tue 12 Jun, 2012 22.43

LickOfPaint wrote:In light of some inside info I've had sent to me, I reckon Blacks, Millets and JD Sports are all going to come crashing down very shortly...unless they can get someone big to buy them/bail them out. :ugeek:

The only difference is that their high street presence will not be missed.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011 ... nistration

Inside information?? Blacks has been in the shit since December.
User avatar
WillPS
Posts: 1972
Joined: Tue 22 Apr, 2008 18.32
Location: Carlton
Contact:

Wed 13 Jun, 2012 00.29

Alexia wrote:
LickOfPaint wrote:In light of some inside info I've had sent to me, I reckon Blacks, Millets and JD Sports are all going to come crashing down very shortly...unless they can get someone big to buy them/bail them out. :ugeek:

The only difference is that their high street presence will not be missed.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011 ... nistration

Inside information?? Blacks has been in the shit since December.
They have since been taken over by JD though, which itself isn't doing brilliantly.
Image
Critique
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon 17 Aug, 2009 10.37
Location: Suffolk

Wed 13 Jun, 2012 20.26

Our local Blacks has already gone. The small sign on it says 'Your closest Blacks store is Millets'...
User avatar
Nick Harvey
God
Posts: 4029
Joined: Fri 15 Aug, 2003 22.26
Location: Deepest Wiltshire
Contact:

Wed 13 Jun, 2012 22.03

Can't help thinking that this thread is getting terribly racist!
JAS84
Posts: 415
Joined: Fri 12 Aug, 2011 10.23
Location: Hull, UK

Thu 21 Jun, 2012 02.28

Allders has gone into administration - again. All but one store closed down seven years ago, now the last one has finally fallen.
http://www.standard.co.uk/business/busi ... 54444.html
Please Respond