High Street chain collapse sweepstake

WillPS

Whataday wrote:
WillPS wrote:The harsh reality of the situation is that if the business makes sense a buyer will come forward - if it doesn't they wont - 10,000 facebook likes or otherwise.
Absolutely, although I'd be very surprised if Peacocks didnt continue in some shape or form. Its not like Woolworths where they failed to change with the times. It is currently a successful retailer, the debt aside.
I agree - although I expect the opportunity will be taken to close the stores which have been left behind in smaller towns...
JAS84

I once did a New Deal work placement in Peacocks. But I only lasted a few days before they decided the work wasn't there. They didn't even need to pay me, I was free labour! Clearly, they were overstaffed.

Most shops loved having free workers... but it had an unfortunate side effect that they would use the free labour instead of hiring more employees, so the long term unemployed stay unemployed. :(
WillPS

JAS84 wrote:I once did a New Deal work placement in Peacocks. But I only lasted a few days before they decided the work wasn't there. They didn't even need to pay me, I was free labour! Clearly, they were overstaffed.

Most shops loved having free workers... but it had an unfortunate side effect that they would use the free labour instead of hiring more employees, so the long term unemployed stay unemployed. :(
That's truly depressing. I have very strong opinions on the New Deal scheme and the way the JobCentre encourages anyone to take *any* work.
nidave

Sort of on topic but:

Kodak has filed for bankruptcy in a bid to survive a liquidity crisis after years of falling sales related to the decline of its namesake film business as digital cameras have taken over the market.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012 ... bankruptcy

and

Pumpkin Patch
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012 ... nistration
nidave

WillPS wrote:
Whataday wrote:
WillPS wrote:The harsh reality of the situation is that if the business makes sense a buyer will come forward - if it doesn't they wont - 10,000 facebook likes or otherwise.
Absolutely, although I'd be very surprised if Peacocks didnt continue in some shape or form. Its not like Woolworths where they failed to change with the times. It is currently a successful retailer, the debt aside.
I agree - although I expect the opportunity will be taken to close the stores which have been left behind in smaller towns...
Officially in administration
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012 ... nistration
Whataday

Over half the head office staff were made redundant today at Peacocks, but stores are trading as normal - for the time being, although they're not accepting gift cards or giving refunds.
Thames

Bonmarche saved, but 100 or more shops look set to close!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16680318
nidave

I was just about the post the same thing.
barcode

I don't think game will be going anywhere for the time being, it does need a proper wake up call. Maybe time to merge game and gamestation shops and brands. I went pasted my local game ship on boxing and there 30min ques to the till.
lukey

barcode wrote:I don't think game will be going anywhere for the time being, it does need a proper wake up call. Maybe time to merge game and gamestation shops and brands. I went pasted my local game ship on boxing and there 30min ques to the till.
The brands service such different sides of the market, and I understand in terms of logistics this has already been long-merged, but when it comes to the sign out front and the window dressing, I can't see great value in merging the two (in either direction). In other words, I could believe the cost savings they might make from supporting a single brand (and closing their self-competing stores) could be wiped out by alienating one segment or the other. Yes, it's completely superficial, but there is still a credibility assigned to the Gamestation brand that Game has never had, and there's an accessibility to the Game brand that Gamestation has never had, and that probably keeps GAME Group just happy enough.

I said just a few weeks ago that I didn't think Game would go anytime soon, because I naively thought that having a good chunk of the high street trade would be enough. The most depressing thing about leaving the bricks and mortar video games trade almost entirely in the hands of supermarkets is it becomes another industry reduced to moving little boxes of data. Perhaps, as with the last vestige of music stores, it becomes a catalyst for a new generation of passionate retro indie games stores with no actual buying power of their own, but I will certainly miss having a place where I know I can talk pish about video games with the staff for a bit.

Conversely, for as long as we still have powerful retail chains, online distribution in the mainstream will stagnate in corners - particularly the console space, where distribution of retail games online is hampered by insane prices, simply to placate retailers.