High Street chain collapse sweepstake

Digifiend

Local shoe shop Jonathan James went into liquidation a couple of weeks ago.
WillPS

Looks like Best Buy is set to disappear on Sunday:
http://www.bestbuy.co.uk/stores.aspx

I doubt there'll be many bargains left now - the amount of people taking tellys with only 10% off was quite something!
Whataday

Peacocks has today agreed to sell Bonmarche for just under £10 million. They paid £50 million for it in 2002 and refused a £60 million offer for it just over a year ago, saying it was ridiculously undervaluing the business...

More importantly, Peacocks' £240 million debt has been written off in exchange for the bank taking the equivalent share value in the company.

Nowhere near out of the woods but it seems Peacocks is safe... for now!
bilky asko

Whataday wrote:
wells wrote: After
See, that photo is just screaming at me saying there is a Knowhow rebranding waiting in the wings.. just look at it.
It really isn't - if they did, I have to add, it would be an awful move. They may be establishing Knowhow as a brand, but not as their overall brand. I reckon they'll get rid of Knowhow once there's enough bad reputation with the name as there was with The Tech Guys.

Although admittedly DSG have a penchant for changing logo designs, they haven't changed many store names as far as I can remember.
Finn

Hmmm... had an email from HMV this morning offering me £5 off a purchase in store and telling me that the Manchester Arndale shop (formerly a Zavvi) has now closed (which must have happened since last week...).

Mind you, the Manchester Market Street HMV was originally touted as their biggest in the UK/Europe (one or t'other) and it always struck me as odd that they bothered to take on the Zavvi store.
Finn

Oh. Even odder.

Just looked at the email again and it says I have to present the voucher with my 'purehmv' card.

I don't have a purehmv card.

And the only way they could have my email is from the online purchase I did before Christmas.

Left hand not knowing what right hand is doing, I reckon.
nwtv2003

Neil DG wrote:Hmmm... had an email from HMV this morning offering me £5 off a purchase in store and telling me that the Manchester Arndale shop (formerly a Zavvi) has now closed (which must have happened since last week...).

Mind you, the Manchester Market Street HMV was originally touted as their biggest in the UK/Europe (one or t'other) and it always struck me as odd that they bothered to take on the Zavvi store.
I'm not surprised that the ex-Zavvi HMV has closed. I also never got why they had two HMV's on Market Street either, the big one as you say, which feels as if it's got smaller in the last few years thanks to HMV's "changes" and inserting an Orange Shop in the middle of it and the other one was the down the street under the Arndale which is now the Manchester City Store.

But as long as Fopp is still open, I'm happy.
steve
Finn

nwtv2003 wrote:But as long as Fopp is still open, I'm happy.
And how has that survived? I'm sure I've heard at least twice over the last few years that Fopp was on the brink of going under.
Ant

News out this morning that Little Chef is to close 67 of their restaurants, with the potential loss of 600 jobs.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 87886.html
Ant

Neil DG wrote:
And how has that survived? I'm sure I've heard at least twice over the last few years that Fopp was on the brink of going under.
The Fopp website says that HMV have re-opened some of the stores, leaving 8 across the country.

http://www.foppreturns.com
Finn

Ant wrote:
Neil DG wrote:
The Fopp website says that HMV have re-opened some of the stores, leaving 8 across the country.

http://www.foppreturns.com
Ah.

HMV.

Oh well, that will last for a long time then...