The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

Martin Phillp

Wed 06 Mar, 2019 00.25

Forest Hill is my closest Sainsbury's, but I rarely use it due to the lack of range. However if it hasn't been mentioned before (probably by me!) that the old Sainsbury's when it was smaller before they acquired neighbouring shops for the extension is the only Sainsbury's I know where they had two rows of checkouts at either end of the store, the rear has a council owned car-park.

The current store now has tills which face across the length of the store, so customers can still easily reach the main entrance or the car park. There is also a tiny free Sainsbury's owned car park which is underneath.
TVF's London Lite.
gottago

Wed 06 Mar, 2019 16.14

^ Balham also has two sets: a large self service area for the side facing the high street and manned checkouts and a handful more self serve on the car park end.
james2001

Wed 06 Mar, 2019 17.59

There were two sets of check outs in the old store in Derby city centre, though that closed and moved back in 2000.
MarkAshley

Thu 07 Mar, 2019 08.31

Balham also has metal toilets without seats or lids. I was wondering just how many instances of vandalism brought them to this solution.

Way back in this thread it was mentioned that Balham had a Zizzi counter instead of the standard pizza bar. That has now gone and been replaced with a ... Mexican(?) restaurant bar thing? I think! I had taken a photo of it the other week when I was in there using their stainless steel throne, but now I can't find said picture. Which is kinda annoying.
Hairy.
MarkAshley

Thu 07 Mar, 2019 08.35

Oh but just down the road and around the corner from Balham, the former Sava Centre branch at Merton Abbey (which is still signposted with beautiful pre-1994 blue bordered local direction signs using the now neglected word "hypermarket" - but this isn't SABRE so I'll go and nerdgasm over there instead with that particular photograph) also has, or rather had, the same branded baby changing mat, which has somehow survived a succession of refits over the past 25 years.
I was in there last night after shooting Tower Bridge because I couldn't find a free public convenience anywhere else between Bank and Morden. Free Wifi I had no problem with. Free Weewee, no chance.

But I couldn't use the Gents because the over zealous cleaner had taken it upon himself to actually barricade off the door just as I arrived holding my willy. So I had to use the baby changing room next door because there is always so much unnecessary screaming whenever I use the Ladies. I just didn't need that at that time of night.
Oh right, the photo, yes.

Happily, however, after I did my wee, I also bought a loaf of warburtons sliced white bread for just 29p. So that was nice.

HEY! INTERESTING FACT! This branch was built on the site not only of the Merton Abbey, but of a former paper mill whose machinery was powered by the adjacent Wandle river. The A24 passes by on a suspiciously flat and straight alignment which my local research has taught me is due to it following a former railway trackbed serving a station whose space the petrol filling station now occupies. The Pizza Hut opposite is where the goods yard was sited.
More information will be available when I finally finish this bloody book.
Hairy.
g67bbx

Thu 21 Mar, 2019 18.48

Those on the inside knew this would end as a failure from day one.

Reception for the new "trial" was never good.

https://www.islandecho.co.uk/sainsburys ... -of-wight/
Martin Phillp

Wed 27 Mar, 2019 22.41

I visited the smallest Argos in Sainsbury's to date in Penge on Monday. So quiet that there were only two members of staff on duty with one behind the counter on his own for most of my visit.

I preordered a toilet seat online, which they took 20 mins to find and that was only because their colleague returned from their break.

Otherwise it was really quiet, no other customers in the time I was there. When Argos was in the Homebase further up the road, it was much busier.
TVF's London Lite.
Martin Phillp

Wed 17 Apr, 2019 17.20

Argos finally opened in my local superstore today. Unlike other Argos concessions nearby, the tills are on the end of the order tables.
TVF's London Lite.
bilky asko

Thu 25 Apr, 2019 08.59

The deal is off.

all new Phil

Thu 25 Apr, 2019 11.59

Asda continuing with shit SELs then.
*ass
WillPS

Thu 25 Apr, 2019 13.43

bilky asko wrote:
Thu 25 Apr, 2019 08.59
The deal is off.

I cannot believe anybody involved really thought there was a chance that it might be allowed, without a sale of a quarter to a half of the estate (which is surely the same as blocking any such deal practically).

Leaves Sainsbury's in a hole, for sure.
Please Respond