The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

Martin Phillp

Sainsbury's seem to around this time of year reduce the amount of bonus points you can save from buying products which happens when they do their Count Up to Christmas promotion. Usually I'm able to around 300-400 points a week from buying regular products I purchase, however the points on offer are around 10 to 30 points per product.
TVF's London Lite.
Martin Phillp

I wasn't expecting to see this on offer via the Nectar app in mid January!

TVF's London Lite.
cheese2286

Rest in Peace Sir John Sainsbury. A titan not just of our age but any age. A giant not just of retailing, but of humanity. Even in a million years our descendants will evoke his name and break out into song. The world has lost a God amongst men tonight.
JAS84

He's a Lord, not just a Sir. Here's an article about him.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60003334
Martin Phillp

Sainsbury's in two of my local stores have found other uses for the former deli counters.

The large superstore has converted it to a Food & Go snack section, while the standard sized store changed it to shelving where they put all their promo stuff and other stock they don't usually sell, such as a big bottle of hand soap for £13.
TVF's London Lite.
cwathen

Anyone know what strategy (if any) Sainsbury's have for rolling out pay @ pump? Asda has gone down the road of switching to unstaffed forecourts with only P@P and dispensed with the forecourt shop, The other big 3 all retain forecourt shops but Tesco has had universal P@P for about the last 15 years, Morrisons is steadily rolling it out whereas Sainsbury's still seems to be an entirely mixed bag with what seems like a one foot in, one foot out approach to it.

Taunton Hankridge has had P@P for close to a decade, whereas my old regular Bristol Emerson's Green didn't have it, and recently has had new pumps installed but they're still not P@P models. Both locations are on retail parks but the Bristol store is also in a residential area whereas the Taunton store is not. Do Sainsbury's have a strategy of trying to capitalise on potential attached sales from the forecourt shop by deliberately not installing P@P at locations closer to residential areas where they believe attachments are more likely?

Or is it something far more basic as to whether the area manager on that patch believes it's a help or hindrance to sales?
all new Phil

Not sure things are quite as clear - the big Asda near me has a petrol station with not just a shop, but a shop with a Subway counter in it.

Morrisons seem to have hugely expanded their petrol station shops in a few I’ve been to recently - even though they’re attached to stores. The 2 closest to me have Morrisons Daily shops attached with huge ranges of food to go plus a fairly extensive grocery range.
WillPS

I expect Asda are actually going to be moving away from pay@pump only sites, what with the transferring to EuroGarages.

JS are definitely moving towards tho. The new branch at Colwick is unmanned, and I believe there are sites which have lost their shops/manning in the last year.
Pete

Sainsburys at Straiton in Edinburgh (next to ikea) has finally had its disaster of a canopy replaced, yet still makes you go into the shop to pay
"He has to be larger than bacon"
thegeek

the Asda in Govan has never had a shop - I think it was built with a drive-through kiosk (and possibly pay at pump only for some of the lanes). It must be about 25 years old.
scottishtv

Pete wrote: Fri 18 Feb, 2022 10.03 Sainsburys at Straiton in Edinburgh (next to ikea) has finally had its disaster of a canopy replaced, yet still makes you go into the shop to pay
Have always wondered why they felt this store needed 16 fuel pumps. Have also been confused by the Costco next door having pay-at-pump only pumps, but not open 24 hours... I guess they want someone nearby if there's an emergency?

Back to Sainsbury's, it seems totally sporadic. In Edinburgh, Longstone and Cameron Toll offer pay at pump, but Murrayfield and Craigleith don't. Tesco seem to do it best and offer it everywhere I've been.
thegeek wrote: Fri 18 Feb, 2022 12.34 the Asda in Govan has never had a shop - I think it was built with a drive-through kiosk (and possibly pay at pump only for some of the lanes). It must be about 25 years old.
The Asda in Coatbridge was the same (and slightly unusual as the petrol station - and half the car park - is on the opposite side of a road to the store). Here's how it used to be, but it seems to been refurb'd with a shop added in more recent times.