The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

james2001

Maybe the country would be in a much better state now if he'd stuck working in Sainsbury's.
WillPS

gottago wrote: Sun 25 Aug, 2019 23.06 A new one on me today at Euro Garages Bangor: Sainsburys On The Go; a very small, WHSmith Travel style shop mainly selling sandwiches, crisps, vapes (a lot of vapes) and a surprisingly well stocked condiments and tinned goods section. Seems to be a trial at several Euro Garages that began in May.

https://motorwayservicesonline.co.uk/Sainsbury's
These are going in to the former Little Chef sites they'd intended to put Starbucks in (before Starbucks refused to grant franchises for them).
woah

They've just done something similar at a site in Chesterfield - it used to be a Little Chef/Burger King, more recently just a Burger King (using the old, unrefurbished Little Chef dining area for many years) and has now been totally refitted at a Sainsburys, Vape Store and Burger King with a dining area in front. Was supposed to have a a Subway too but never materialised.

Nice enough concept for a service station but this place isn't much of one - I cannot see much demand for the Sainsbury's at all. The only real custom comes from the Travelodge customers nearby and locals who want to use the only Burger King anywhere in Chesterfield.
scottishtv

I mostly use the self-checkouts, but I noticed Sainsbury's staffed tills now have little barcode/image scanners attached to the Chip and PIN device. Couldn't really see anything about this online, other than in the tweet below (not my content). Presumably something to do with payment is in the works. Second thoughts, could it be scanning a Nectar card barcode from your phone?

WillPS

scottishtv wrote: Sat 14 Sep, 2019 01.14 I mostly use the self-checkouts, but I noticed Sainsbury's staffed tills now have little barcode/image scanners attached to the Chip and PIN device. Couldn't really see anything about this online, other than in the tweet below (not my content). Presumably something to do with payment is in the works. Second thoughts, could it be scanning a Nectar card barcode from your phone?

My guess is that it's something to do with (Mobile) Scan & Go. Either that or they're back on the rampage trying to get customers to scan/swipe their own Nectar card.

EDIT - it's for Nectar, they're going to push using an app rather than a physical card, and the existing scanners wont scan phone displays. It's just a barcode reader though, nothing sinister.
scottishtv

WillPS wrote: Sat 14 Sep, 2019 13.56EDIT - it's for Nectar, they're going to push using an app rather than a physical card, and the existing scanners wont scan phone displays. It's just a barcode reader though, nothing sinister.
Thanks for that. I know the M&S self scans will now read the in-app Sparks card barcode, so presume the self-checkouts will be fine. Having these on the chip and PIN device also mean there's no awkwardness around handing your phone over to a member of staff.

That said, I don't think this mounting is particularly clever. Why not have the scanner facing down so you can just hold your phone under it?

They must think there's a bit of mileage left in Nectar, between investment in this and it also being required for the SmartShop app.
Philip

Just come across this, “New Nectar” with a purple colour scheme:

https://nectar.sainsburys.co.uk/

WillPS

Philip wrote: Sat 14 Sep, 2019 15.53 Just come across this, “New Nectar” with a purple colour scheme:

https://nectar.sainsburys.co.uk/

That's been used since the Isle of Wight trials. It's also appearing rapidly on Esso totems currently.
Martin Phillp

If those scanners are replacing the mag stripe/QR code physical nectar cards, they'll need to update the SmartShop readers which only unlock the portable barcode readers with a mag stripe which have only been installed in my local store.
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

Martin Phillp wrote: Sun 15 Sep, 2019 13.57 If those scanners are replacing the mag stripe/QR code physical nectar cards, they'll need to update the SmartShop readers which only unlock the portable barcode readers with a mag stripe which have only been installed in my local store.
You can also type the number in (or rather the half of it which ever changes...). I'm pretty sure physical Nectar cards will still have Mag stripes though.
m-in-m

The SmartShop scanners that I have seen on a recent installation are released simply by pressing a Release Handset image on the scanner and then scanning the Nectar card from the handset.