The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

Martin Phillp

Martin Phillp wrote: Wed 17 Apr, 2019 17.20 Argos finally opened in my local superstore today. Unlike other Argos concessions nearby, the tills are on the end of the order tables.
I didn't realise my store is the first self-service store in the country, although when I used it recently, they had to do the transaction the old fashioned way as I paid with cash.

https://www.retail-insight-network.com/ ... tal-store/
TVF's London Lite.
thegeek

I'm confused - last time I was in an Argos I browsed on a tablet then ordered and paid on a separate touchscreen device. Obviously combining the two is an innovation, but how does that make this the first self-service store? Do they mean it's no longer possible to order and pay at a manned checkout?
WillPS

thegeek wrote: Sun 19 May, 2019 07.13 I'm confused - last time I was in an Argos I browsed on a tablet then ordered and paid on a separate touchscreen device. Obviously combining the two is an innovation, but how does that make this the first self-service store? Do they mean it's no longer possible to order and pay at a manned checkout?
They definitely don't - cash can still only be done at a manned till, and you're right it's not any more self service than before.

The only example I can think of which might enable you to do more than before is if you're paying using a gift card, which definitely wasn't possible on the old terminals (not sure if it's possible on the new ones).
DJDave

WillPS wrote: Sun 19 May, 2019 09.53
thegeek wrote: Sun 19 May, 2019 07.13 I'm confused - last time I was in an Argos I browsed on a tablet then ordered and paid on a separate touchscreen device. Obviously combining the two is an innovation, but how does that make this the first self-service store? Do they mean it's no longer possible to order and pay at a manned checkout?
They definitely don't - cash can still only be done at a manned till, and you're right it's not any more self service than before.

The only example I can think of which might enable you to do more than before is if you're paying using a gift card, which definitely wasn't possible on the old terminals (not sure if it's possible on the new ones).
I used one of the points in my local Sainsbury's the other week, ordered and paid at it (using my card) still had to get the girl to go and get it though as nobody had brought it out.
Martin Phillp

On the ends of each table in Argos Dulwich in Sainsbury's, there's a manual POS hidden. For cash and Nectar transactions, you still have to do it the old fashioned way of showing them a catalogue or reservation number.

Incidentally the same person who served me on the till also went round the back to find my item, which seems to be the way they operate in two of the three Argos in Sainsbury's concessions I've used.

They don't seem to do large goods or will offer to have them delivered for collection there either. I had to go to a normal Argos to pick up an office chair yesterday.
TVF's London Lite.
m-in-m

So these replicate the functionality of the QuickPay machines that existed in the larger stores - many of which they've now closed. It did surprise me that there wasn't any self pay option as it seemed to be a backwards step.
Martin Phillp

Just as my local store recovered from squeezing in Argos, they're now introducing Smart Shop. This has been achieved by removing four large self checkouts and half a dozen staff checkouts to have the area where customers can complete their shop.

The hand held scanners are there, along with the fruit and veg scales, but are not live yet.
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

m-in-m wrote: Tue 28 May, 2019 21.30 So these replicate the functionality of the QuickPay machines that existed in the larger stores - many of which they've now closed. It did surprise me that there wasn't any self pay option as it seemed to be a backwards step.
Except they also let you browse the catalogue and put together an order without using catalogue numbers.
thegeek

Critique

thegeek wrote: Thu 30 May, 2019 13.27 New look for Taste the Difference
https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/own-label/s ... 75.article
Not very often it happens but we broke this before The Grocer did!
Critique wrote: Sun 12 May, 2019 17.41 Looks like a Taste the Difference rebrand is imminent:

In my excitement at a 'scoop' I only took a photo of the logo and not the wider box...!

Looks quite nice but I do wonder if it suffers from the same issue that the old Tesco Finest packaging had, where that as everyone now uses handwriting fonts etc it doesn't look especially premium? Sainsbury's logo also seems conspicuously absent?
Pete

Critique wrote: Fri 31 May, 2019 21.34 Not very often it happens but we broke this before The Grocer did!
i did think I'd seen that before. I have therefore changed the header in celebration of Metro's role in this amazing scoop
"He has to be larger than bacon"