The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

james2001

I didn't know the Sutton one still did actually, even though I go ice skating about a quarter of a mile from there once or twice a week, it's been years since I actually went into the shops there. I know both of the Mansfield ones have touch screens though (though as I said, the town centre one's due to move into Sainsbury's soon), I think the one next to Tesco has had the touch screens since it opened.

I wonder if anyone actully picks up the actual catalogues any more, as it's a lot easier to just browse through the website. I know I haven't picked one up for years (having to go to the index and flip through the laminated catalogue then having to type the number into the stock checker earlier seemed a bit frustrating when I've been used to it being about 4 button presses on a touch screen for years). I remember when we were growing up and we'd always have an Argos and an Index catalogue stashed somewhere in the living room!

One thing I always think of about the (soon to be gone) town centre branch here is how many shop units it takes up, compared to how small the actual bit you can go into is. In the late 90s/early 00s they bought several of the neighbouring units to expand the stock room in so it could be a full "Argos Extra" (after several years of having to order the "extra" stuff in specially), so you have to walk past about 4 shop units with no doors and just windows with Argos posters in to get into the actual shop, as you can see here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.14487 ... xDBs9g!2e0

Which reminds me of the period from around the mid-90s until the 00s where there were 3 different classes of Argos stores- the "regular" stores, the "extra" stores and the sort of in between (where you could order the "extra" stuff but had to wait for it to be delivered to the store). I think everywhere's had the full range for years now, but it does depend if it's in stock or not. Maybe this should be spun-off into an Argos thread. I
Philip

*meekly puts up hand* I still get the Argos catalogue just to browse through, since it's a nicer experience than the website (which just uses your generic web store style interface). If I'm searching for something to reserve directly then obviously I'll just use the website. It's gotten a lot smaller over the years physically though.

Meanwhile, whilst the Argos catalogue and the Yellow Pages seem to increasingly get smaller until they will disappear into thin air or something, the NEXT Directory continues to be printed in a big hardback book with supplementary softback catalogues, for free. Go figure.
WillPS

james2001 wrote: Wed 26 Apr, 2017 00.40 Which reminds me of the period from around the mid-90s until the 00s where there were 3 different classes of Argos stores- the "regular" stores, the "extra" stores and the sort of in between (where you could order the "extra" stuff but had to wait for it to be delivered to the store). I think everywhere's had the full range for years now, but it does depend if it's in stock or not. Maybe this should be spun-off into an Argos thread.
There were also tiny branches, I think called Argos "call and collect" which carried pretty much nothing except the stuff they'd up-sell you with like batteries. They went about 12 years ago.
Martin Phillp

Tiny Argos stores have returned in Central London at least.
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

Martin Phillp wrote: Wed 26 Apr, 2017 11.47 Tiny Argos stores have returned in Central London at least.
I thought they still had a decent amount of lines on hand in limited stocks?
tillyoshea

Philip wrote: Wed 26 Apr, 2017 10.34Meanwhile, whilst the Argos catalogue and the Yellow Pages seem to increasingly get smaller until they will disappear into thin air or something, the NEXT Directory continues to be printed in a big hardback book with supplementary softback catalogues, for free. Go figure.
I thought NEXT Directories were charged at £3 or £4ish rather than free?
Martin Phillp

WillPS wrote: Wed 26 Apr, 2017 15.08
Martin Phillp wrote: Wed 26 Apr, 2017 11.47 Tiny Argos stores have returned in Central London at least.
I thought they still had a decent amount of lines on hand in limited stocks?
Apparently so the last time I checked the store checker.
TVF's London Lite.
sqwidge1978

WillPS wrote: Wed 26 Apr, 2017 11.00
james2001 wrote: Wed 26 Apr, 2017 00.40 Which reminds me of the period from around the mid-90s until the 00s where there were 3 different classes of Argos stores- the "regular" stores, the "extra" stores and the sort of in between (where you could order the "extra" stuff but had to wait for it to be delivered to the store). I think everywhere's had the full range for years now, but it does depend if it's in stock or not. Maybe this should be spun-off into an Argos thread.
There were also tiny branches, I think called Argos "call and collect" which carried pretty much nothing except the stuff they'd up-sell you with like batteries. They went about 12 years ago.
The first superstores appeared in 1987
Followed by Bestsellers in 1990
- Which carried a smaller range 2,500 items compared to Traditional stores 4,000 range and the Superstores 6,500 range. The Bestsellers store were converted to traditional stores around 1993.
Call and Collect stores first opened in 1996 around the same time the Republic of Ireland stores first opened. The call and Collect stores were often located in smaller market towns and you had to ring the store (or pop in) to place your order and collect next day, a kind of for runner to the click and collect counters at Sainsbury's.

Argos also ventured into Europe opening stores in the Netherlands in 1998 opening 5 trial stores in an unsuccessful pilot.
Andrew

I'm sure when the 'Extra' concept first came in, there were actually two different catalogues, a normal one and an extra one?

Then later items were marked as 'Extra' within one catalogue

Regarding a comment above, don't all Argos stores still have laminated catalogues to flick through?
james2001

Andrew wrote: Thu 27 Apr, 2017 20.53 I'm sure when the 'Extra' concept first came in, there were actually two different catalogues, a normal one and an extra one?
Yes there were, I seem to remember the covers were different colours too
Regarding a comment above, don't all Argos stores still have laminated catalogues to flick through?
As I said- until Tuesday I hadn't been in one that had them for about 10 years. Most stores use modern touch screens instead.

I have noticed looking on the Argos website, if you go on the store finder, they do still have "Extra" listed next to some stores- though they aren't distinguished that way on the stores themselves (unless they still have older signage up anyway).
bilky asko

Except all of the stores with touchscreens I've been into still have the catalogues underneath. The touchscreens just replace the stock checker.

I believe the only Argoses with no catalogues are the Argos Digital stores where they have tablets instead of touchscreens.