The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

Alexia

scottishtv wrote:Seeing as the Sainsbury's brand collectors have surfaced, does anyone know where I can find an instrumental version of "Light and Day/Reach for the Sun" by The Polyphonic Spree? I've tried various places and all of the usual mp3 places you would obtain such a file but it always escapes my reach.
I can't tell just by listening if it's MIDI, but : http://www.redkaraoke.com/songs/Light-~ ... -Sun/35071
Pete

So having popped home to visit mummy, I had the pleasure of visiting the all new Sainbury's in Kelso. After a protracted battle with Tesco they finally managed to get hold of their brownfield site and build a store that looks like this (in real life its identical to the artist rendering although with an aggregate yard to the left and a car dealership behind rather than green fields but never mind):

The interior continues with wood with wooden beams being used rather then metal (possibly a response to Tesco's attempt to sway the vote by claiming their store would be the greenest in the country) and with wooden style signage for the counters.

Image Image

All very very nice IMO and the double set of self scans (one at each end) is an excellent idea.

Meanwhile, the site set up for this store during planning http://www.sainburys-kelso.co.uk happens to use @font-face embedding for both interstate and a certain other font. I am thus very happy and have a nice little .ttf on my desktop.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
marksi

We have a new shiny Sainsbury's (there's an apostrophe missing from the topic title) opening near us next month. This joins the 3 giant Tesco stores - including Northern Ireland's biggest, just opened - and an Asda, all less than 15 mins drive.

Quite how there's a market for them all I have no idea, nor how we coped before they all opened and there was only one Tesco.
Philip Cobbold

The wooden cladding over the counters is being rolled out to most stores. The only exceptions are stores that haven't had a refit in a number of years, ie the ones that still have the dark blue walls, as the cost of updating the counter area is greater than the amount of money the improved counters would make back.
WillPS

Philip Cobbold wrote:The wooden cladding over the counters is being rolled out to most stores. The only exceptions are stores that haven't had a refit in a number of years, ie the ones that still have the dark blue walls, as the cost of updating the counter area is greater than the amount of money the improved counters would make back.
There can't be many Greenwich Blue stores left now, surely?
Pete

Philip Cobbold wrote:The wooden cladding over the counters is being rolled out to most stores. The only exceptions are stores that haven't had a refit in a number of years, ie the ones that still have the dark blue walls, as the cost of updating the counter area is greater than the amount of money the improved counters would make back.
Dundee recently had its old blue and orange walls behind the old signage repainted white. other parts of the store remain very tatty however, especially the signage in the carpark which dates from Making Life Taste Better and its dropping to bits. The Salad bar conked out about 4 months ago and is currently being used as a dumping ground for paperwork and general tat rather than being removed and replaced with shelving. Seems a waste.

The crap old homeware section (with peeling wood effect lino and wall of clapped out tv screens) meanwhile has been removed completely and redone as standard aisles which has actually significantly improved selling space and allowed a whole aisle of clothing to appear.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

Pete wrote:
Dundee recently had its old blue and orange walls behind the old signage repainted white. other parts of the store remain very tatty however, especially the signage in the carpark which dates from Making Life Taste Better and its dropping to bits. The Salad bar conked out about 4 months ago and is currently being used as a dumping ground for paperwork and general tat rather than being removed and replaced with shelving. Seems a waste.

The crap old homeware section (with peeling wood effect lino and wall of clapped out tv screens) meanwhile has been removed completely and redone as standard aisles which has actually significantly improved selling space and allowed a whole aisle of clothing to appear.
Sounds like they're doing the "take forever" refresh. It takes forever.

I'm going to Crayford next month with my JS compadre to experience the biggest JS. We know how to make the most of a Z1-6 Travelcard!
Philip Cobbold

WillPS wrote:
There can't be many Greenwich Blue stores left now, surely?
There's still a few floating about, the one I work at for starters. It's desperately in need of a refresh, but apparently isn't in line for one any time soon.
scottishtv

Alexia wrote:I can't tell just by listening if it's MIDI, but : http://www.redkaraoke.com/songs/Light-~ ... -Sun/35071
Thanks for the link.
scottishtv

Pete wrote:Image
I assume the glass-fronted lobby on the right is the customer entrance/exit. What's the one on the left? Where do the stairs go?!
Jamesypoo

scottishtv wrote:I assume the glass-fronted lobby on the right is the customer entrance/exit. What's the one on the left? Where do the stairs go?!
Is it the cafe? Our recently extended and refurbished Sainsbury's has the cafe upstairs now.