The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

Pear

There's been quite a rapid scaling down of Sainsbury's operations in Hull recently. A couple of months back they announced the closure of 2 Locals, and today another 3 are being lined up for closure.

Ever since they acquired Jackson's, Hull's always had a disproportionate number of Locals to its population. There's about 5 in a 20 minute walking distance of me for example. Quite a surprise it's took this long for them to start to cutting them down.
Pete

Pear wrote: Mon 23 Sep, 2019 20.07 There's been quite a rapid scaling down of Sainsbury's operations in Hull recently. A couple of months back they announced the closure of 2 Locals, and today another 3 are being lined up for closure.

Ever since they acquired Jackson's, Hull's always had a disproportionate number of Locals to its population. There's about 5 in a 20 minute walking distance of me for example. Quite a surprise it's took this long for them to start to cutting them down.
Perhaps this was inevitable once the Hull Milk Cartel was smashed :(
"He has to be larger than bacon"
JAS84

Pear wrote: Mon 23 Sep, 2019 20.07 There's been quite a rapid scaling down of Sainsbury's operations in Hull recently. A couple of months back they announced the closure of 2 Locals, and today another 3 are being lined up for closure.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hu ... es-3352185

They've actually been sold to Samy Ltd. Do a Google image search on that and the first results are branches of Londis.
Martin Phillp

Fruit and Veg plastic bags have been axed for reusable bags that cost 30p.
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

Martin Phillp wrote: Thu 03 Oct, 2019 14.09 Fruit and Veg plastic bags have been axed for reusable bags that cost 30p.
I tend just not to use them because they're totally unnecessary. I did once manage to confuse a member of staff who was doing a 'service check' on me at Tesco because they believed I should be printing off a label for every red onion I get if I'm not going to put them in a bag. Divvy.
Pete

WillPS wrote: Thu 03 Oct, 2019 19.27
Martin Phillp wrote: Thu 03 Oct, 2019 14.09 Fruit and Veg plastic bags have been axed for reusable bags that cost 30p.
I tend just not to use them because they're totally unnecessary. I did once manage to confuse a member of staff who was doing a 'service check' on me at Tesco because they believed I should be printing off a label for every red onion I get if I'm not going to put them in a bag. Divvy.
I've sort of stopped using the labels and tend to just put them through using the normal self service touch screen and scales. If you're just buying bananas its the same number of buttons but doesn't waste a sticker.
WillPS

Pete wrote: Thu 03 Oct, 2019 19.52
I've sort of stopped using the labels and tend to just put them through using the normal self service touch screen and scales. If you're just buying bananas its the same number of buttons but doesn't waste a sticker.
I agree, the whole sticker thing seems a waste. Why not just display a barcode which can be scanned?

I'm quite certain you don't dilly dally, but I hold myself to pretty high standards when it comes to getting through self checkouts quickly - otherwise I'd do the same.
Pete

WillPS wrote: Thu 03 Oct, 2019 22.07

I agree, the whole sticker thing seems a waste. Why not just display a barcode which can be scanned?

I'm quite certain you don't dilly dally, but I hold myself to pretty high standards when it comes to getting through self checkouts quickly - otherwise I'd do the same.
Tesco Pay+ is your friend for fast checkouting
WillPS

Pete wrote: Thu 03 Oct, 2019 22.40
WillPS wrote: Thu 03 Oct, 2019 22.07

Tesco Pay+ is your friend for fast checkouting
Yupp - as long as it's a unit with a decent scanner. The ones in the Express can leave you waving your phone around like a twazzer for 20 seconds, so I find using my Tesco Credit Card contactlessly is the best option.
Martin Phillp

The plastic bags have also been replaced in the bakery section with paper bags, which are still free.
TVF's London Lite.
Critique

Apologies if I've missed it being mentioned already but Sainsbury's have been pushing Nectar (using the updated branding) heavily in stores this week, and with a new app too.

Interestingly, the app provides a barcode to scan your card in-store (much like Tesco has done with Clubcard for AGES), and there's a lot of POS promoting this. However, aren't a lot of Sainsbury's self-service terminals pretty old and so therefore can't scan a 2D barcode? Prior to this I was using an app that allowed me to put my Nectar card in my Apple Wallet, and it worked infrequently on the new tills (mainly thinking of the sleek black units without the weighed bagging area), but never on the self service tills in my local, which are a pretty old and shabby set, and frequently are only working card-only these days. In contrast, Tesco's checkout kit seems to be much more up-to-date and so I've never had an issue scanning my clubcard from my phone.