The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

james2001

How dare businesses not want their car parks being filled up by people who aren't customers, therefore making it harder for actual customers to find a space. Disgusting.

My local Sainsbury's has a 2 hour limit to stop people parking there when using the cinema, and a 90 minute limit on match days. It's outragous, I feel like complaining!

Even worse the morrisons next to the hospital has a time limit and charges to park (but you get your money back if you buy something)- how dare they!

Car parks should be for people leaving their cars and buggering off for the day, not for customers. How dare the supermarkets be so selfish.
WillPS

There is just no other way to get to a city like London. The one option is to park at Sainsburys and catch a bus.
bilky asko

WillPS wrote: Thu 06 Apr, 2017 20.32 There is just no other way to get to a city like London. The one option is to park at Sainsburys and catch a bus.
Except in Hull, where the milk cartel means you have to catch a milk float to London.
james2001

WillPS wrote: Thu 06 Apr, 2017 20.32 There is just no other way to get to a city like London. The one option is to park at Sainsburys and catch a bus.
A shame it's such a small place with such poor travel links. If only Sainsbury's had taken that into consideration.
Alexia

Where's Denzel's lorry when you need it?
james2001

At my local Sainsbury's, a large amount of the floor space has been closed off to be converted into an Argos, which is moving from the town centre. I think the other Argos- which ironically is next to Tesco- is staying put though.
Martin Phillp

Still no sign of Argos moving into my two supermarkets. Rumoured that they'll be Argos collection points instead.

Incidentally the Argos concession at Homebase is still there. However it may become an Asda instead as an application has gone into the council for the site to be expanded. Bunnings on the other hand according to staff want to stay on the site.
TVF's London Lite.
bilky asko

Both of Scarborough's Argoses are to shut, to be replaced with an in-Sainsbury's Argos.

Both of the old Argoses are past their best, neither having had anything done to them since they took over the Index branch.
james2001

I had to use the Argos in the Broadmarsh in Nottingham today, and while I obviously knew it still had the old 90s signage on the outside, I was quite suprised going in they still had the laminated catalogues and 90s stock checkers. It must be 10 years since I've been in an Argos that's had either, rather than the modern touch screens. The price had changed on what I bought as well- which shows another downside of being stuck with catalogues.
Martin Phillp

james2001 wrote: Tue 25 Apr, 2017 19.57 The price had changed on what I bought as well- which shows another downside of being stuck with catalogues.
One of the frustrating things about Argos in it's prime was that other shops could easily adjust their prices while Argos (unless they were doing a fixed period sale) would stubbornly keep the price up until the change of catalogue season.

Internet retailing has helped Argos and other high street shops to adjust prices a lot more faster to meet competition.
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

james2001 wrote: Tue 25 Apr, 2017 19.57 I had to use the Argos in the Broadmarsh in Nottingham today, and while I obviously knew it still had the old 90s signage on the outside, I was quite suprised going in they still had the laminated catalogues and 90s stock checkers. It must be 10 years since I've been in an Argos that's had either, rather than the modern touch screens. The price had changed on what I bought as well- which shows another downside of being stuck with catalogues.
Did you fancy anything from the Elizabeth Duke counter?

There are a few stores which still have the big-button stock checkers, mostly the later red variety though. Rugeley and Sutton-in-Ashfield definitely both did last time I used them.
Martin Phillp wrote: Tue 25 Apr, 2017 21.30
james2001 wrote: Tue 25 Apr, 2017 19.57 The price had changed on what I bought as well- which shows another downside of being stuck with catalogues.
One of the frustrating things about Argos in it's prime was that other shops could easily adjust their prices while Argos (unless they were doing a fixed period sale) would stubbornly keep the price up until the change of catalogue season.

Internet retailing has helped Argos and other high street shops to adjust prices a lot more faster to meet competition.
I don't think that's true - I remember they used to produce little supplements which had all their special offers and reduced prices. The only thing they couldn't do was increase the price.