The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

jonathan

james2001 wrote: Fri 28 Apr, 2017 01.22 As I said- until Tuesday I hadn't been in one that had them for about 10 years. Most stores use modern touch screens instead.

I have noticed looking on the Argos website, if you go on the store finder, they do still have "Extra" listed next to some stores- though they aren't distinguished that way on the stores themselves (unless they still have older signage up anyway).
All stores in Edinburgh have a combination of touch screen and catalogue.

They have islands divided into three standing positions and each standing position has one touch screen and two catalogues, though there's only enough space for two people to use each standing position at a time.

I can't be sure but I think the touch screens replaced the old stock checkers without a change to the existing layout/fittings.

The screens are the resistive type and are unresponsive and slow. When I'm in most people seem to be using the catalogues.

I don't know of any store with the catalogues free layout and capacitive touchscreens but would welcome them here - those used to the catalogues might not!

The Extra stores here all have "Extra" branding though no longer on the main sign.
woah

bilky asko wrote: Fri 28 Apr, 2017 03.34 I believe the only Argoses with no catalogues are the Argos Digital stores where they have tablets instead of touchscreens.
The Digital store format has been rolled out to all the stores here in Sheffield (although I've noticed it doesn't seem to have rolled out anywhere else) - the tablets are far better than those clunky IBM touchscreens fitted in most stores, and so is the store design and layout. Fortunately they've made a couple of tweaks, such as introducing seating (they used to assume they would get your item almost straightaway after ordering which they definitely do not) and the order number screen is back too.

I too had no idea the old format stores with the stock checkers still existed - I came across one in Buxton a few months ago, it was very bizarre.
james2001

I did take a photo if anyone really cares

And I don't envy the person who has to laminate all those catalogues...
WillPS

james2001 wrote: Fri 28 Apr, 2017 10.00 I did take a photo if anyone really cares

And I don't envy the person who has to laminate all those catalogues...
It must be done by a machine, surely!?
bilky asko

Incidentally, I believe those IBM touchscreens aren't resistive and are in fact infrared touchscreens.

You could plug in a USB drive into the bottom and browse your files on them too.
jonathan

bilky asko wrote: Fri 28 Apr, 2017 13.27 Incidentally, I believe those IBM touchscreens aren't resistive and are in fact infrared touchscreens.

You could plug in a USB drive into the bottom and browse your files on them too.
Thanks. Didn't know about infrared touchscreens.
Andrew

They aren't great and are really an older era of technology where you had to prod the screens to get them to do anything. Most people only use them for stock checking purposes.

I don't think I've actually been in one of these so called Argos Digital stores, all the ones round me are still the traditional style with laminated books, that includes in major cities.

The one I mostly use is on its arse, however quiet it is the receipt always says it'll be 7 minutes, and it always tends to be 7 minutes. The collection point screen seems to just show the numbers and then automatically call you after 7 minutes and then drop off, rather than being operated properly. Even if your item has been picked and it's plainly there there is no flexibility you have to wait until you are called.
WillPS

Andrew wrote: Wed 03 May, 2017 22.49 They aren't great and are really an older era of technology where you had to prod the screens to get them to do anything. Most people only use them for stock checking purposes.

I don't think I've actually been in one of these so called Argos Digital stores, all the ones round me are still the traditional style with laminated books, that includes in major cities.

The one I mostly use is on its arse, however quiet it is the receipt always says it'll be 7 minutes, and it always tends to be 7 minutes. The collection point screen seems to just show the numbers and then automatically call you after 7 minutes and then drop off, rather than being operated properly. Even if your item has been picked and it's plainly there there is no flexibility you have to wait until you are called.
Every time I've been to Argos they've been calling people immediately even though their stuff isn't ready. Sometimes it's absolute chaos at the counter.

I think there must be some KPI they can duke by marking orders as ready for collection when they aren't.
bilky asko

One of the Scarborough Argoses used to have a screen on display that showed all the KPIs being measured, I seem to recall.

Out of interest, is it the same system as used by McDonald's with table service and a collection area? The last number in the list is indented slightly left as it is in Argoses with the IBM touchscreens and without the Sanyo CRTs.
Martin Phillp

At my local Argos, there's a terminal at the collection point which is used by the staff to speed up the collection process if the product arrives faster than the ETA.
TVF's London Lite.
sqwidge1978

bilky asko wrote: Fri 28 Apr, 2017 03.34 I believe the only Argoses with no catalogues are the Argos Digital stores where they have tablets instead of touchscreens.
Even the new Digital Stores popping up in sainsburys still have the traditional Laminated Catalogue as well as the Tablets

As can be seen in the new Digital Stores in Sainsbury's Ely store. I guess that during initial trials they had customers still asking for the Traditional Catalogue, so looks like they aren't going anywhere fast.