The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

WillPS

bilky asko wrote:
rdobbie wrote:
Pear wrote:Homebase, or Bunnings, not wasting any time either. Looks like all of the Argos concessions within Homebase are set to close shortly. Funnily enough, the Argos within my local Homebase actually adjoins a branch of Sainsbury's.
Oh, now that's a real shame. I've made extensive use of my Argos-in-Homebase since it opened and found it a brilliant shopping experience: online Fast Track ordering, free parking outside and open until 8pm. Amazing logistics too, squeezing in nearly every product on the Argos website into such a tiny footprint.

They were also trialling a new scheme at my branch, in partnership with eBay and iPost Parcels (UK Mail), called eBay Drop Off at Argos which was a cheaper and more convenient alternative to sending parcels at the Post Office (despite the name, you could actually use it to send anything, not just items sold through eBay). I hope that scheme isn't in jeopardy now.
InPost parcel lockers are now serviced by UKMail, offering 2 day and 1 day delivery at very reasonable rates.
Indeed. InPost is pretty much the only one I use now - occasionally UPS when a buyer pays the premium.
Martin Phillp

Sainsbury's Entertainment is closing, Movies and TV has closed today with MP3, Digital Magazines and ebooks will close on October 1st.
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

Martin Phillp wrote:Sainsbury's Entertainment is closing, Movies and TV has closed today with MP3, Digital Magazines and ebooks will close on October 1st.
I'm surprised they took so long! They've given me £5 worth of credit (no purchase necessary) twice, and I can't be arsed to even have a look at what they might have. It had no place really, like Blinkbox.
Martin Phillp

WillPS wrote:
Martin Phillp wrote:Sainsbury's Entertainment is closing, Movies and TV has closed today with MP3, Digital Magazines and ebooks will close on October 1st.
I'm surprised they took so long! They've given me £5 worth of credit (no purchase necessary) twice, and I can't be arsed to even have a look at what they might have. It had no place really, like Blinkbox.
I had £20 of free credit from them and only ended up watching Deadpool on it via Chromecast. The PQ and audio quality were awful.
TVF's London Lite.
Jake

So my Nook library which closed and got shifted to Sainsburys is now going to be closed again and shifted to Kobo.
DJDave

The Sainsbury's about 20 mins down the motorway from be has already got a Argos inside, and by the looks it was very new as lots of signs saying Argos now in store.

It was right at the end of the till points but looked very snazzy for an Argos. We have another nearer me that has the Argos next store and also a Homebase, so I wonder at some point if they will knock the Sainsbury's and the Argos into one?
jonathan

Pete wrote:The homebase at Straiton in Edinburgh (next to a Sainsburys) has been converted into a mega Next / Next Home / Costa / Beaverbrookes thingy.

Interestingly they dismantled homebase back to the metal frame and then built the new store using it.
I understand it's the third largest store in the UK and it's the third location at Straiton having last moved only a few years ago.

There's a time lapse of the construction at http://www.peelretailparks.co.uk/new-bl ... etail-park though it doesn't start with the original building: http://statics.192.com/estreet/original ... 677923.jpg

When Homebase closed around this time last year (they decided not to renew the lease) they opened a "Decorating Centre" in the nearby Argos which has also now closed.

The next nearest Homebase at St Leonards closed a couple of months later after the landlord decided to sell to be developed into student accommodation.

Have the Habitat concessions in Homebase closed yet? I imagine we'll see that brand in Sainsbury's at some point.
JAS84

Sainsbury's are to reopen one of the Netto stores that closed last month under their own name.
http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/new-sain ... story.html
WillPS

Makes sense, I imagine some will become Argos too.
james2001

The nearest Argos to me is in a unit that's attatched to a Tesco Extra, I wonder if it's going to stay there.
Martin Phillp

I was hoping that Argos would move into my superstore, but the rumours from staff I know who work in there is that it's too small and too close to the main Argos store about a mile away.

However that didn't stop Argos opening in a Homebase near an Argos Extra.
TVF's London Lite.