The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

Pete

Jamesypoo wrote:
scottishtv wrote:I assume the glass-fronted lobby on the right is the customer entrance/exit. What's the one on the left? Where do the stairs go?!
Is it the cafe? Our recently extended and refurbished Sainsbury's has the cafe upstairs now.
staff staircase

there was meant to be a mezzanine cafe but it got knocked back. a crummy one in the corner downstairs was built instead.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Gavin Scott
Admin

Sainsburys Leith - why oh why do you need to take all your self serve machines offline at once to refill the coinage? You're only putting them in one machine at a time.

And why did you have two staff clucking around a till putting change in it at the same time, leaving only one in operation?

It's not rocket science you twits.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Strike two for sainsburys today. Popped in to pick up some bread, and observed young member of staff in the bakery sitting up on the food prep area.

All baguettes comes with a side order of bum fluff today, it seems.

Gross.
Gavin Scott
Admin

I answered an email questionnaire from Sainsbury's yesterday (in consideration of 50 bonus points); and the thrust of it seemed to be around whether changing rooms are an essential part of selling clothing. More than half of the questions were directly related to that (with others being about electrical/DVD/general good and the placement of dedicated customer service desks).

I'd never thought of Sainsbury's as a clothing retailer. I do think of Asda as one and, to a lesser extent, Tesco. Not five minutes ago I saw a tv ad for clothing at Sainsbury's, so I'm wondering if this is a new(ish) thing for their larger stores.

Not sure how I feel about clothing at supermarkets - although that's not to say I haven't picked up the odd £25 Asda suit for work (and other low-priority life events). On the one hand you can't argue with the pricing - they don't have the same margin to achieve like high street fashion retailers simply because they've got the built in turnover-per-square-foot of the groceries.

On the other hand its another step towards the big 5 having a giant monopoly on everything, squeezing out speciality trade - which is never a good thing. And I do tend to think if I buy a top from a supermarket I'm likely to see it everywhere, and whilst I'm no clothing snob I'd rather not be seen in something many people are wearing. If nothing else I think I wouldn't benefit from the comparison.

That said, the questionnaire wasn't asking whether I approved of clothes retailing - it only sought to discover whether a changing room facility is essential. And in essence I answered that it wasn't - unless it was a high value item or formal-wear.

Presumably this will please them, as it reduces further their overheads and allows them to *really* screw over clothing shops. Against my better judgement I told the truth.

I'd like my 50 points and a shower now please. Don't look at me.
all new Phil

I answered you in the first thread you posted this in :)
Pete

Gavin, if you could please stop ruining threads for everyone, thanks.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Gavin Scott
Admin

That's not a promise I can give, sorry.
WillPS

TU clothing has been going for years now, although it took a while to get the full range in to some stores. It's good stuff, but I never buy unless there's a 25% off event on (which there generally is every coupl'a months).

Before TU, they had a range from Jeff Banks in an even smaller selection of stores, and of course before that there was Savacentre which was a partnership with BHS.
SirKen

Justin King ended the agreement with Jeff Banks, 'Jeff & Co' so they relaunched as 'Tu'.
Sput

Tsk at the self serve checkout not showing the correctly reduced price for two baked products until it was actually giving me the change. I almost aborted the whole transaction in RAGE.
Knight knight
WillPS

Sput wrote:Tsk at the self serve checkout not showing the correctly reduced price for two baked products until it was actually giving me the change. I almost aborted the whole transaction in RAGE.
Weird bug with JS self scans that. Press "go back" after subtotal, then it works it out.