The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

DJDave

Still can't believe the about of snobs saying a Sainsbury's shopper wouldn't be shopping in Asda, well my and I family must be very odd as I get my Petrol in Sainsburys and Shopping and also getting Shopping in Asda and Petrol and sometimes I got mad and go to Tesco, Aldi and now a brand new Lidl has opened up a 5 min drive away.

Today's shopper has changed and people shop around for choice and value etc, I think like said before we will see maybe Nectar in Asda and an Argos and maybe a new POS System but Asdas tills are stuck in the dark ages anyway, the self service have a better system on them then the main checkouts.
all new Phil

If anything it opens up a lot more opportunities for their acquisition of Argos. I reckon one of the first developments will be more Argos sections in Asda stores.
Martin Phillp

all new Phil wrote: Sun 29 Apr, 2018 20.58 If anything it opens up a lot more opportunities for their acquisition of Argos. I reckon one of the first developments will be more Argos sections in Asda stores.
Considering the majority are larger stores, it's a certainty. The smaller Asda Supermarkets would get click and collect, although in Peckham where's there's an Argos store, Asda Supermarket and a large Asda superstore about a mile away, they may want to close the supermarket and put in a standard high street Sainsbury's, although Peckham is largely C2DE and has Morrisons and Lidl already.
TVF's London Lite.
bilky asko

all new Phil wrote: Sun 29 Apr, 2018 20.58 If anything it opens up a lot more opportunities for their acquisition of Argos. I reckon one of the first developments will be more Argos sections in Asda stores.
Not only that, but there are rumours that they want to take Argos to the US and beyond.
Martin Phillp

In summary.

£13bn merger.
No store closures.
10% cut in regular priced goods
Walmart gets a 42% share in the new company.
Argos concessions in Asda stores.
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

DJDave wrote: Sun 29 Apr, 2018 20.56 Still can't believe the about of snobs saying a Sainsbury's shopper wouldn't be shopping in Asda, well my and I family must be very odd as I get my Petrol in Sainsburys and Shopping and also getting Shopping in Asda and Petrol and sometimes I got mad and go to Tesco, Aldi and now a brand new Lidl has opened up a 5 min drive away.

Today's shopper has changed and people shop around for choice and value etc, I think like said before we will see maybe Nectar in Asda and an Argos and maybe a new POS System but Asdas tills are stuck in the dark ages anyway, the self service have a better system on them then the main checkouts.
I enjoy shopping around too, but you'd be surprised how loyal people can be.

My girlfriend's mother would never do her shopping anywhere other than Morrisons in Mansfield (even though theres a newer store in Kirkby-in-Ashfield, where she lives). My Mum thinks she's slumming it when she goes anywhere other than Sainsbury's (and again only the Castle Boulevard one, never the Arnold or Perry Road ones which are around the same travel time).

I would agree that people are far less loyal to petrol stations, though. 'Topping up' at Aldi and Lidl seems to be the norm nowadays too.
bilky asko wrote: Mon 30 Apr, 2018 10.16
Not only that, but there are rumours that they want to take Argos to the US and beyond.
Mad that Argos is suddenly the hot ticket, having really only slightly tweaked the formula which made them feel so old-hat 10 years ago.
scottishtv

all new Phil wrote: Sun 29 Apr, 2018 12.50 Not gonna lie - my first thought was “I hope they use the Sainsbury’s SELs in Asda”.
Ha.. Mine was "That's mad - what happens here?" in this part of Edinburgh:

Anyway, they've released this YouTube video so they must've been close to announcing before the "leak" came at the weekend... complete with Whataday's strategic advice included:
Andrew

Notice the map on the BBC News article, which shows that although there are more Sainsbury’s in the south, or as it seems the south east, there isn’t really a north/south divide.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43947212
Martin Phillp

WillPS wrote: Mon 30 Apr, 2018 15.23
Mad that Argos is suddenly the hot ticket, having really only slightly tweaked the formula which made them feel so old-hat 10 years ago.
I went to Argos in Croydon this weekend. It's a former Extra store, which now has way too much space than they need on the shop floor.

Now, they can't move into the Sainsbury's in the Whitgift Centre which is too small. However on the Purley Way, Argos and Sainsbury's (superstore) are neighbours, so I think it's going to move to cut costs.
TVF's London Lite.
cheese2286

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business- ... ra-singing

Hmmm.....'An unfortunate choice of song' - I wonder what John Sainsbury would make of that!
rdobbie

WillPS wrote: Mon 30 Apr, 2018 15.23 I enjoy shopping around too, but you'd be surprised how loyal people can be.

My girlfriend's mother would never do her shopping anywhere other than Morrisons in Mansfield (even though theres a newer store in Kirkby-in-Ashfield, where she lives). My Mum thinks she's slumming it when she goes anywhere other than Sainsbury's (and again only the Castle Boulevard one, never the Arnold or Perry Road ones which are around the same travel time).
I've always noticed that ASDA seems to have an incredibly loyal following. In Sittingbourne, within a very small radius of the town centre we have an ASDA, Morrisons, Sainsbury's, Aldi, Lidl, M&S Food, plus several Co-ops and Tesco Expresses, yet the ASDA is always heaving in the evenings when Morrisons and Lidl are almost empty.

I can't understand its popularity as it's my least favourite of all the choices available. It's a horrible narrow-aisled store with a limited range and unfriendly staff.

Also, the instore bakery in this ASDA has at some point become a 'fakery' - all the stock is factory baked off-site but packaged to give the impression it was baked instore. I noticed my loaf and doughnuts didn't taste particularly fresh and on further examination saw a small sticker with an ingredients list that's tucked away on the bottom of the products; this wouldn't legally have to be there if the items were baked instore (even if the 'baking' only involved finishing them off in the oven). I enquired and the staff confirmed that the bakery equipment is just kept there for show but isn't actually used.