The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

all new Phil

We don't have a dedicated Sainsbury's thread :( but I noticed the other day that Sainsbury's have begun the process of updating their SELs with a different font (the serif one they now use in their current advertising campaign).

DON'T LIKE.
Sput

I would like a supermarket rota thread. Margerie was on checkout 5 on tuesday but then she moved to checkout 1. ARE THEY GROOMING HER TO REPLACE SHARON?
Knight knight
WillPS

all new Phil wrote:We don't have a dedicated Sainsbury's thread :( but I noticed the other day that Sainsbury's have begun the process of updating their SELs with a different font (the serif one they now use in their current advertising campaign).

DON'T LIKE.
Nor me.

Interstate was the best thing that ever happened to Sainsburys, they should stick to it.
Pete

I saw a sign on the door saying "Out Of Order, Sorry for Any Convenience" all in Times New Roman size 36. Is this a sign of an impending rebrand?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Pete

WillPS wrote:Nor me.

Interstate was the best thing that ever happened to Sainsburys, they should stick to it.
I love that fun cartoon font they use. Is that a custom one or is it commercial?
all new Phil

The SEL design was with this font:
Philip Cobbold

Interstate's still being used for all the building signage though, and on the POS that's printed in store. It's just the advertising that's printed out of store that uses the new font.
WillPS

Pete wrote:
WillPS wrote:Nor me.

I love that fun cartoon font they use. Is that a custom one or is it commercial?
Only used internally now, I think it's a custom one but I have the TTF file *somewhere*.

I absolutely hate any off-brand signage. It's so annoying, there is nice paper to use and software to generate information signage for anything that's needed, and stuff like "Sorry - Out of Order" stuff should have dedicated signage in store.

The worst example of _POINTLESS_ in store signage was a store in Sheffield where, for some reason, they'd covered one of those nice "try something new today" boards that used to get fitted behind checkouts with one-letter-per-page Comic Sans "CRYSTAL PEAKS". Why!?!
Pete

Oh I know it's horrendous. I'll admit to being a bad person who alters signage in the place where I wokr however this is
1. due to the lack of available alternatives
2. made up for by the fact I am competent

Currently in Sainsburys near me there is a set of barkers containing a nasty bit of photocopied shite about bags for life on green paper. Far too much text, no attention to the typography and utterly pathetic looking.

As for that font, what a shame it doesn't fall into my inbox.
scottishtv

Seeing as the Sainsbury's brand collectors have surfaced, does anyone know where I can find an instrumental version of "Light and Day/Reach for the Sun" by The Polyphonic Spree? I've tried various places and all of the usual mp3 places you would obtain such a file but it always escapes my reach.

I've found it on the less-than-likely-legal legalsounds.com (track 3) but it's a very dodgy site. So dodgy it only accepts very weird forms of payment right now - not credit cards as it suggests on the homepage. Not that I'd care to divulge my credit card details to these folk.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm all Googled and Binged out.

PS - It's for a school project, and I'm totally *not* going to do a Jamie Oliver impersonation over it whilst grating cinnamon into Pot Noodle... trying something new.
all new Phil

Philip Cobbold wrote:Interstate's still being used for all the building signage though, and on the POS that's printed in store. It's just the advertising that's printed out of store that uses the new font.
Nope, I was referring to the signage that's printed in store (the half-A4 sized shelf-edge barkers). Interstate had been replaced by this new font on them - same overall design though.