The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

scottishtv

I've had a voucher for £0.01 off my next shop before, but this is the first time I've seen one of these...

bilky asko

Spot the error:

Alexia

bilky asko wrote:Spot the error:
Do Nectar Cards come with built in scanners now?
scottishtv

Oops. We think you MIGHT like...
bilky asko

scottishtv wrote:Oops. We think you MIGHT like...
The fact it took me a few days to notice shows how little attention I pay to the vouchers - I just absorb the image and the number of extra points I'll get. For once, it's extra points for something I'll buy.
Alexia wrote:
bilky asko wrote:Spot the error:
Do Nectar Cards come with built in scanners now?
I've just tried it, and nothing happened. So I presume not.
rdobbie

I don't go to Sainsbury's very often, but on a recent visit I was surprised by how many own brand products still have the old (pre-1999) logo. For example:

In fact I'm pretty sure from memory that some of those designs are well over 20 years old. Perhaps even more surprising is that the rice still bears a 'Healthy Balance' insignia (bottom left of pack) that was part of an ad/branding campaign that Sainsbury's did in around 1989.

What a contrast to Tesco whose own labels are now redesigned so frequently that it's getting silly; their Olive Spread is now on its third complete redesign of 2012.
bilky asko

I've seen a couple of those packaging designs - they do mention that they have a website with "Internet - http://www.sainsburys.co.uk".

The stupid thing is that certain pack sizes have the old Sainsbury's logo, and some have the newer one - with everything else identical.

I know the Co-operative had some medicines a year ago (just before it closed) with the old "flower" logo.
james2001

A few weeks ago I was in Ashbourne, in Derbyshire, and their branch of Sainsbury's is still an old "J Sainsbury" branch, looks like it was last refurbed circa 1997. Although one of the fire exits and "reduced to clear" sections still has signs in the late 80s/early 90s style.

cdd

Wow - I love this kind of thing and must now find an excuse to go to Derbyshire.

I wonder if it will be as awesome as Brent Park Tesco.
WillPS

Oooh! Right on my doorstep and I knew nothing about it.

Yes, it's odd how long it seems to have taken JS to get rid of their old blocky pre-2000 logo. They clearly can do it quickly when they want to - the 'low price' stuff disappeared rapidly when basics was introduced.

The smaller packs of basmati are now being replaced by a purple 'by Sainsburys' one.
Pete

Same with when they redid Taste The Difference, that was practically done within a week
"He has to be larger than bacon"