The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

Martin Phillp

The new look Taste the Difference packaging has been on-sale in store since the beginning of May, but has taken this long to get into the press.
TVF's London Lite.
wells

I would guess the plan was to place this brand in Asda stores as well. Would explain why Sainsbury’s logo is absent and it’s the font on the word ‘taste’ is similar to that of Asda’s Extra Special range.
scottishtv

Sainsbury’s saddles up with Deliveroo for takeaway pizza trial.

I understand the point of trying to utilise hot food counters more, but this wouldn't appeal to me. If you're bothering to get a pizza delivered, I'm sure you could find many better places. And if I wanted a supermarket pizza, I'd rather one off the shelf I could stick in my own oven for 10 mins.
all new Phil

scottishtv wrote: Tue 23 Jul, 2019 17.30 Sainsbury’s saddles up with Deliveroo for takeaway pizza trial.

I understand the point of trying to utilise hot food counters more, but this wouldn't appeal to me. If you're bothering to get a pizza delivered, I'm sure you could find many better places. And if I wanted a supermarket pizza, I'd rather one off the shelf I could stick in my own oven for 10 mins.
Well I mean that’s kind of the point of trialling it. To see if it works. I can certainly see the appeal of ordering a hot food delivery from a brand I trust versus a dodgy takeaway with a 1 star hygiene rating.
WillPS

It'll cost them almost nothing as well. They have the ovens, they have the pizzas, they have the staff to put the pizzas in the ovens - the only thing they'll need to do is train them to respond to the Deliveroo tablet and the handover process.
thegeek

Here's some footage the BBC uncovered of a peculiar Telegraph journalist in a Sainsbury's in 1998
Critique

Is it just me or are pretty much all Sainsbury's Local stores looking tired and a bit unloved these days? Unlike Tesco I've not really seen many attempts to refit stores beyond the kit they got when they opened, and as a result there's a right old mix of shopfronts around - a ex-Central store near me until very recently still used the sunbeam 'try something new today' branding out front, and I don't think they bothered to replace it on some side windows when they eventually got round to updating it. From what I've seen they occasionally bolt something new in like a coffee machine with a fake tile backsplash, but otherwise leave the rest of the store as-is.

Some of the refitted blue logo Co-ops are really quite nice inside now, to the extent I'd say they make a better shopping experience!
DJDave

Critique wrote: Mon 05 Aug, 2019 22.39 Is it just me or are pretty much all Sainsbury's Local stores looking tired and a bit unloved these days? Unlike Tesco I've not really seen many attempts to refit stores beyond the kit they got when they opened, and as a result there's a right old mix of shopfronts around - a ex-Central store near me until very recently still used the sunbeam 'try something new today' branding out front, and I don't think they bothered to replace it on some side windows when they eventually got round to updating it. From what I've seen they occasionally bolt something new in like a coffee machine with a fake tile backsplash, but otherwise leave the rest of the store as-is.

Some of the refitted blue logo Co-ops are really quite nice inside now, to the extent I'd say they make a better shopping experience!
My Local Sainsbury's had the try something new look until last year when they got an Argos and they updated a few of the outside and internal signs.
gottago

A new one on me today at Euro Garages Bangor: Sainsburys On The Go; a very small, WHSmith Travel style shop mainly selling sandwiches, crisps, vapes (a lot of vapes) and a surprisingly well stocked condiments and tinned goods section. Seems to be a trial at several Euro Garages that began in May.

https://motorwayservicesonline.co.uk/Sainsbury's
sqwidge1978

gottago wrote: Sun 25 Aug, 2019 23.06 A new one on me today at Euro Garages Bangor: Sainsburys On The Go; a very small, WHSmith Travel style shop mainly selling sandwiches, crisps, vapes (a lot of vapes) and a surprisingly well stocked condiments and tinned goods section. Seems to be a trial at several Euro Garages that began in May.

https://motorwayservicesonline.co.uk/Sainsbury's
Do they have the Children's wets suits and the Scarecrows like the Whsmith Travel style shops.

Re the scarecrows there is a cemetery near where I grew up were 90% of the graves have those strange Scarecrows on the graves.
wells

thegeek wrote: Mon 29 Jul, 2019 15.48 Here's some footage the BBC uncovered of a peculiar Telegraph journalist in a Sainsbury's in 1998
I’m surprised how modern that Tesco store looked for 1998. It seems to be the Kensington store.