The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

Martin Phillp

scottishtv wrote: Thu 16 Sep, 2021 19.35 I find it quite ironic that the supermarket that used to encourage you to "try something new today" now rewards you with Nectar points for buying exactly the same things week after week seemingly.

Also, is this Sainsbury's "Chop Chop" app some sort of trial or something? Saw it advertised on some B&W badly printed A4 bits of paper in my local store earlier, looks like it's done with Deliveroo in my area - a few items delivered quickly at a premium delivery cost.
Chop Chop has been around in my area for at least a year now. Sainsbury's even suggested using the service during lockdown as an alternative to queuing to get in store just for essentials.

It's similar to the Co-Op's home delivery service where for slots ranging from 99p to £2.99, you can have delivery within an hour for staples. They recently signed a deal with Amazon to expand their service, where Amazon Flex couriers will deliver the goods, my local store currently uses Deliveroo.
TVF's London Lite.
all new Phil

I just, I don’t know, I can’t get my head round paying someone to go to the shop for me because I can’t be arsed. Yes yes I know, some people aren’t able to etc, but I don’t think that’s who is using this.
Whataday

Is it just me that thinks Chop Chop is a dreadful brand for that service. It's just as rude an expression as it is to snap your fingers at a waiter isn't it?
thegeek

Whataday wrote: Fri 17 Sep, 2021 09.51 Is it just me that thinks Chop Chop is a dreadful brand for that service. It's just as rude an expression as it is to snap your fingers at a waiter isn't it?
It just reminds me of a restaurant in Shepherd's Bush with rude staff.
all new Phil wrote: Fri 17 Sep, 2021 09.46 I just, I don’t know, I can’t get my head round paying someone to go to the shop for me because I can’t be arsed. Yes yes I know, some people aren’t able to etc, but I don’t think that’s who is using this.
Wait until you hear about the prolifieration of corner shops on wheels in London.

I've mostly been rinsing them for their venture capital-backed generous new customer offers, but I see getir's bikes out and about all the time so clearly there's some pent-up demand. I've found them good for the sweet spot between 'can't be bothered cooking but can't justify takeaway so bring me a nice pizza please', and it'll arrive before the oven's even heated up.
scottishtv

thegeek wrote: Fri 17 Sep, 2021 20.31Wait until you hear about the prolifieration of corner shops on wheels in London.
I've seen a Scottish one called Snappy Shopper but never used any of these as I live across the road from a Tesco. Quite interesting to see those delivery fees are quite low compared to Sainsbury's £4.99 flat fee.

Orders placed using the phone, bike delivery and high prices. Arkwright & Granville were ahead of their time!
Martin Phillp

Sainsbury's will close on Boxing Day.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/uk-world ... dH03m8TByc
TVF's London Lite.
Philip

Martin Phillp wrote: Fri 17 Sep, 2021 23.34 Sainsbury's will close on Boxing Day.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/uk-world ... dH03m8TByc
RIP
all new Phil

Can’t wait for the clickbait articles. Shoppers STUNNED as Sainsbury's makes MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT that will see all of its stores close.
Pete

scottishtv wrote: Fri 17 Sep, 2021 21.39 I've seen a Scottish one called Snappy Shopper but never used any of these as I live across the road from a Tesco. Quite interesting to see those delivery fees are quite low compared to Sainsbury's £4.99 flat fee.

Orders placed using the phone, bike delivery and high prices. Arkwright & Granville were ahead of their time!
There was a Dundee one called zippyD but it went bust.

A friend of mine was interrogating me on my birthday earlier this year (mid-lockdown, peak misery) about my favourite ice cream and favourite crisps etc and then a deliveroo driver arrived with a coop bag full of the exact things which was quite nice. But otherwise haven't really had a need to use it as I have a little sainsburys so close.

I've used Deliveroo for takeway a few times recently but mainly bc you get a £5 credit on the Amex card so its cheaper than collecting.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
gottago

all new Phil wrote: Fri 17 Sep, 2021 09.46 I just, I don’t know, I can’t get my head round paying someone to go to the shop for me because I can’t be arsed. Yes yes I know, some people aren’t able to etc, but I don’t think that’s who is using this.
Is that not the same as any takeaway delivered to your house though? Someone's making you a meal because you can't be arsed cooking and someone's collecting it and bringing it to your house because you can't be arsed collecting it?
thegeek wrote: Fri 17 Sep, 2021 20.31 Wait until you hear about the prolifieration of corner shops on wheels in London.

I've mostly been rinsing them for their venture capital-backed generous new customer offers, but I see getir's bikes out and about all the time so clearly there's some pent-up demand. I've found them good for the sweet spot between 'can't be bothered cooking but can't justify takeaway so bring me a nice pizza please', and it'll arrive before the oven's even heated up.
Diamond Geezer also found one of the Weezy 'dark shops' which is quite a sight: https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HNfGb8bOz0c/ ... zyarch.jpg

I used Weezy when I was a victim of the Great Pingdemic and it was certainly useful in that circumstance, though the app was poor. Their policy of getting it to you in 20 minutes was so strictly followed that I got an automated apology and free delivery on my next order for it arriving a single minute late.

There is quite a premium on a lot of items and I've struggled with all of these apps to actually find enough separate ingredients to make a decent meal out of what they have. If you're a meat and veg person then it's fine but doing any sort of recipe isn't particularly easy I'd say.
thegeek

Yeah, I first got into them when a mate was pinged, and had ordered some groceries on Deliveroo only for them to not deliver the key feature of the meal. Having seen DG's blog post I suggested she tried one, and Weezy delivered. (They also delivered a nice bottle of gin which was included in their half price introductory offer.)

All this has reminded me that Glasgow and Edinburgh had a service in 1999 or 2000 called in60, whose core purpose seemed to be that it was a legal version of dial-a-booze with a website - but they also did some groceries, ice cream, and video rentals. This article has a wee bit about the founders' attempts to relaunch after they ran out of cash the first time.