The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

Martin Phillp

My large Sainsbury's superstore is still on old software, the one with the two button options to start or place a bag on the scale.

The local and Supermarket nearby are still on the mind **** interface with the mind boggling options.
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

scottishtv wrote: Mon 26 Feb, 2018 14.38 Another new interface for the Sainsbury’s self-checkouts at my local Local. Very plain but it works.

Plain white background, orange text, with your goods already scanned listed down the right hand side. Gone are the floating animations as you scan, fewer graphics and logos/colours, but thankfully a lot faster. Bigger text too so it's more obvious what's going on.

Oh, and now they ask if you want a receipt instead of printing by default (usually after the previous customer has walked away). The store is already a lot tidier!
Interesting, was it like this?
dosxuk

woah wrote: Fri 16 Feb, 2018 21.26
dosxuk wrote: Fri 16 Feb, 2018 15.05
woah wrote: Thu 15 Feb, 2018 18.28There's also a couple of ex-Jacksons store round here that are pretty awful.
The one by my house (Truro Works?), appears to be closing this coming Sunday, which will be annoying as it leaves a fairly big gap where there's no convenience store (except the Spar in the station car park, and that's a proper dump).

I'm hoping it's for a much needed refurb, but the signage just says it's closing, so I'm not holding up much hope.
They look to be refurbishing the one at Nether Edge (which is essentially a skip) so hopefully that one is getting a similar refurb - I imagine they were converted to Sainsbury's at a similar point.
So, to tie this up from the Tesco thread (?), it has closed, and there's now no convenience store for a significant distance (again, Spar doesn't count. Went in the other day and gave up as nobody was serving, or to be seen anywhere in the shop).
WillPS

dosxuk wrote: Tue 27 Feb, 2018 12.31
woah wrote: Fri 16 Feb, 2018 21.26
dosxuk wrote: Fri 16 Feb, 2018 15.05

The one by my house (Truro Works?), appears to be closing this coming Sunday, which will be annoying as it leaves a fairly big gap where there's no convenience store (except the Spar in the station car park, and that's a proper dump).

I'm hoping it's for a much needed refurb, but the signage just says it's closing, so I'm not holding up much hope.
They look to be refurbishing the one at Nether Edge (which is essentially a skip) so hopefully that one is getting a similar refurb - I imagine they were converted to Sainsbury's at a similar point.
So, to tie this up from the Tesco thread (?), it has closed, and there's now no convenience store for a significant distance (again, Spar doesn't count. Went in the other day and gave up as nobody was serving, or to be seen anywhere in the shop).
Asda in the old Netto? M&S Food in the station? Sainsburys on Arundel Gate?

They all seem pretty nearby.
scottishtv

WillPS wrote: Tue 27 Feb, 2018 11.19
scottishtv wrote: Mon 26 Feb, 2018 14.38 Another new interface for the Sainsbury’s self-checkouts at my local Local. Very plain but it works.
Interesting, was it like this?
I was so taken aback I can't recall the detail, but I don't think the buttons were in the same place at the end of the transaction. Also, the Sainsbury's one seemed to be even more basic than this. I do recall the 'how many bags?' prompt is now "1 bag", "2 bags" or "More". Will try and take a pic soon.
scottishtv

Not a very good pic, sorry for the glare - but yes, similar to the Tesco one.

steveboswell

I used the new interface at the Sheffield High Street store yesterday. The prompt asking if you'd like a receipt only comes up after you've paid, so I suspect a fair number of impatient people might have already walked away by the time it appears.
WillPS

steveboswell wrote: Fri 02 Mar, 2018 08.56 I used the new interface at the Sheffield High Street store yesterday. The prompt asking if you'd like a receipt only comes up after you've paid, so I suspect a fair number of impatient people might have already walked away by the time it appears.
In which case it'll either time out or the next person can just press 'No'.
Martin Phillp

Noticed since Wednesday when Sainsbury's usually change their prices that there's a new 'regular' price campaign where they've reduced certain lines. Labels are the same as the usual promotional price ones with 'New Regular Price' written on them, which makes them hard to tell if they're just promotions or part of the new subsidised cuts in price.
TVF's London Lite.
Martin Phillp

Now that Sainsbury's own Nectar, they're trialing on the Isle of Wight where customers only earn points in-store on regularly purchased items, rather than what you spend.

This seems similar to what they already do by giving bonus points on top of the regular spend by dispensing vouchers on those items already.

Incidentally I went into a local regular Sainsbury's where the new self-service interface is now in operation. Saw some issues where customers were leaving items behind due to the over-simplicity of the new POS system. I prefer seeing items as a list while I'm scanning, rather than each item in large print..
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

Martin Phillp wrote: Mon 09 Apr, 2018 02.41 Now that Sainsbury's own Nectar, they're trialing on the Isle of Wight where customers only earn points in-store on regularly purchased items, rather than what you spend.

This seems similar to what they already do by giving bonus points on top of the regular spend by dispensing vouchers on those items already.

Incidentally I went into a local regular Sainsbury's where the new self-service interface is now in operation. Saw some issues where customers were leaving items behind due to the over-simplicity of the new POS system. I prefer seeing items as a list while I'm scanning, rather than each item in large print..
It is a properly daft idea. For starters, it completely excludes anybody who does not have an email address - which will be a larger segment than you might think as JS' customer base skews older.

Secondly, who the hell can be bothered/can remember to fire up their app every time they wander in to Sainsburys to check if there are any coupons they might use? Waitrose binned their scheme for this very reason, and if you go back long enough you'll remember that JS had those kiosks where you could print coupons off before you shopped - again presumably because the whole thing was a faff.

All that will happen is that a much greater number of Nectar-holding customers wont bother to scan their card, which (one presumes) reduces the accuracy of the insights these schemes are supposed to give the company, and reduces the chance of a customer staying loyal. Especially when Aldi/Lidl are promising uncomplicated prices which are on the whole far, far lower.