The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

WillPS

Sainsbury's is very much the flagship retailer on the Nectar programme. The others will flee like rats from a sinking ship when Sainsburys eventually pull out.
Critique

Our town centre Sainsbury's is a weird one - I assume at some point it was a Central format store because it's much bigger than a Local but too small to be a standard sized supermarket (it has a decent chilled section for people going to/from work but a fairly small ambient/frozen section). Saying that, I don't ever remember it having 'Central' signage, I can only recall it being either Sainsbury's or J SAINSBURY on the signage.

Anyway, today it is open until 7pm, because of the bank holiday. This is strange because the latest it normally opens until is 6:30pm (which is in itself very early)!
WillPS

Somebody probably made a mistake when setting the bank holiday hours - it's the sort of thing managed at area level.
Alexia

Our Reg has died, merely weeks after retiring from Cwmbran Sainsbury's - aged 95.
http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2017-11-2 ... age-of-95/

A colleague of mine for six years, an ex-railwayman who worked Thursdays and Fridays stacking baskets and meeting and greeting. Always got me a ticket for the Wales internationals. What a man, what a career, what a life.

Martin Phillp

Noticed the first Argos promotion in Sainsbury's. Swipe your nectar card and they offer £5 off any order over £40 at the checkout which is given as a voucher.
TVF's London Lite.
scottishtv

Is the "new" self-checkout interface, as seen in Locals, ever going to make it everywhere? I noticed the older version, in use at supermarkets, has had an update in a store I go to for SmartScan or Smartshop or something - a new button on the screen. This means normal shoppers now have to press 'Start' before you get the option to weigh your own bags now. But it still seems super reliable, and works.

The "new" self-scan software is an absolute disaster in my local Local, it seems to run so so slowly, in addition to about 2 or 3 tills being nearly permanently out of service. Maybe it's the hardware, but I've not experienced such long 'hangs', pauses, non-responsiveness and total freeze-ups anywhere else.
WillPS

scottishtv wrote: Wed 10 Jan, 2018 13.02 Is the "new" self-checkout interface, as seen in Locals, ever going to make it everywhere? I noticed the older version, in use at supermarkets, has had an update in a store I go to for SmartScan or Smartshop or something - a new button on the screen. This means normal shoppers now have to press 'Start' before you get the option to weigh your own bags now. But it still seems super reliable, and works.

The "new" self-scan software is an absolute disaster in my local Local, it seems to run so so slowly, in addition to about 2 or 3 tills being nearly permanently out of service. Maybe it's the hardware, but I've not experienced such long 'hangs', pauses, non-responsiveness and total freeze-ups anywhere else.
The rollout of the new cloud-based till software has been completely cancelled - as you can see, it struggles under the weight of what little it already has.

Presumably something will replace it (and that may or may not include the same self checkout UI) but it wont happen soon.

The existing software was updated about 18 months ago (to support Contactless among other things).

The Tesco implementation is maturing quite nicely though, all the speed issues I had to begin with have massively improved.
Pete

WillPS wrote: Fri 12 Jan, 2018 10.34 The rollout of the new cloud-based till software has been completely cancelled - as you can see, it struggles under the weight of what little it already has.
cloud based?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

Pete wrote: Fri 12 Jan, 2018 21.05
WillPS wrote: Fri 12 Jan, 2018 10.34 The rollout of the new cloud-based till software has been completely cancelled - as you can see, it struggles under the weight of what little it already has.
cloud based?
Clumsily worded but yes; rather than relying on a local server (or in small stores a till which acts as a server) which polls data from a central server overnight, by contrast these upgraded tills all connect directly to a central server. This means that, for example, the Nectar balance you see is live rather than 'as at midnight, as long as you've been to the store in the last year'.
tillyoshea

As others have predicted on here many times, Sainsbury's has agreed to take over Nectar.
scottishtv

Another new interface for the Sainsbury’s self-checkouts at my local Local. Very plain but it works.

Plain white background, orange text, with your goods already scanned listed down the right hand side. Gone are the floating animations as you scan, fewer graphics and logos/colours, but thankfully a lot faster. Bigger text too so it's more obvious what's going on.

Oh, and now they ask if you want a receipt instead of printing by default (usually after the previous customer has walked away). The store is already a lot tidier!