The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

sqwidge1978

nodnirG kraM wrote: Fri 04 Aug, 2017 11.00 Had a little trip away earlier in the year for a few months, but on my return have noted the Argos concessions in my local Homebase branches have been removed, although this process seems to be in a slow reverse roll-out situation, as the branches I passed in London last week are all still proudly displaying their Argos signage.

Meanwhile then are all the Argos assets going straight into a selected Sainsbury's store somewhere in the country (the Android tablets, ePOS, signage etc) or are they chucked into a big wheelie bin somewhere?

A Sainsbury's down on the south coast has had an Argos concession for several years; clearly the relationship between the two companies had been tested for some time before they jumped into bed together. In the next town along there is a Sainsbury's Central branch in the unit adjacent to Argos (which has on an alternating basis been Argos Superstore/Argos/Argos Extra/Argos/Argos Extra over the years, but that's irrelevant) - now is there any benefit to the two branches being knocked together to make a Currys PC World experience? No, I can't think of a reason to do that either, just thought I'd bring it up.

Oh and just before I go, the Habitat on King's Road in Chelsea has a Click & Collect Argos/eBay sticker in the window written in the distinctive Sainsbury's font - but no actual reference to Sainsbury's proper.
Didn't realise Sainsbury's still had Central branded stores thought that had all been phased out, where abouts is this store.
WillPS

sqwidge1978 wrote: Sun 06 Aug, 2017 23.46
nodnirG kraM wrote: Fri 04 Aug, 2017 11.00 Had a little trip away earlier in the year for a few months, but on my return have noted the Argos concessions in my local Homebase branches have been removed, although this process seems to be in a slow reverse roll-out situation, as the branches I passed in London last week are all still proudly displaying their Argos signage.

Meanwhile then are all the Argos assets going straight into a selected Sainsbury's store somewhere in the country (the Android tablets, ePOS, signage etc) or are they chucked into a big wheelie bin somewhere?

A Sainsbury's down on the south coast has had an Argos concession for several years; clearly the relationship between the two companies had been tested for some time before they jumped into bed together. In the next town along there is a Sainsbury's Central branch in the unit adjacent to Argos (which has on an alternating basis been Argos Superstore/Argos/Argos Extra/Argos/Argos Extra over the years, but that's irrelevant) - now is there any benefit to the two branches being knocked together to make a Currys PC World experience? No, I can't think of a reason to do that either, just thought I'd bring it up.

Oh and just before I go, the Habitat on King's Road in Chelsea has a Click & Collect Argos/eBay sticker in the window written in the distinctive Sainsbury's font - but no actual reference to Sainsbury's proper.
Didn't realise Sainsbury's still had Central branded stores thought that had all been phased out, where abouts is this store.
There are 2 remaining I believe - one of them is Martineau Place in Birmingham.
sqwidge1978

WillPS wrote: Mon 07 Aug, 2017 18.40
sqwidge1978 wrote: Sun 06 Aug, 2017 23.46

There are 2 remaining I believe - one of them is Martineau Place in Birmingham.
Thats good old Wikipedia for you ;)
Martin Phillp

The conversion of Central's to Local's has left a two-tier pricing system in the larger stores. For example, loose bananas are priced by weight in the Local in Tottenham Court Road as the superstores, the smaller Local charges per banana down the road.
TVF's London Lite.
Philip Cobbold

I believe the Dundee store is in the process of being refurbished, and that it has finally had Self Checkouts installed, many years after every other store got them.
Pete

Philip Cobbold wrote: Thu 10 Aug, 2017 23.58 I believe the Dundee store is in the process of being refurbished, and that it has finally had Self Checkouts installed, many years after every other store got them.
I shall have to investigate. Dundee, as I've mentioned previously, has been in dire condition for some time.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
thegeek

Pete wrote: Fri 11 Aug, 2017 23.02
Philip Cobbold wrote: Thu 10 Aug, 2017 23.58 I believe the Dundee store is in the process of being refurbished, and that it has finally had Self Checkouts installed, many years after every other store got them.
I shall have to investigate. Dundee, as I've mentioned previously, has been in dire condition for some time.
...and so has its branches of Sainsbury's.

I'll get me coat.
thegeek

Nectar's announcement yesterday that you can now collect points by buying the Daily Mail has shown that a lot of people don't realise that Nectar isn't run by Sainsbury's.
Martin Phillp

thegeek wrote: Wed 16 Aug, 2017 09.12 Nectar's announcement yesterday that you can now collect points by buying the Daily Mail has shown that a lot of people don't realise that Nectar isn't run by Sainsbury's.
The origin of the Nectar card is from Sainsbury's own in-house Reward card scheme and the supermarket is probably their largest customer.
TVF's London Lite.
Alexia

Martin Phillp wrote: Wed 16 Aug, 2017 11.53
thegeek wrote: Wed 16 Aug, 2017 09.12 Nectar's announcement yesterday that you can now collect points by buying the Daily Mail has shown that a lot of people don't realise that Nectar isn't run by Sainsbury's.
The origin of the Nectar card is from Sainsbury's own in-house Reward card scheme and the supermarket is probably their largest customer.
And for a long time it was the only place where you could both earn and redeem points.