The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

jonathan

WillPS wrote:AIUI it is in only in 1 supermarket currently.

There are a few other customer facing changes - the Nectar balance is live, and not 'as at yesterday if you've been here before', which should stop people using Nectar balances up in different stores and owing points (not something I've tried but is possible). Also till spits and other receipts with "for you, x with Nectar card y" will actually only work for you now, whereas with the older system any will scan and apply points/discount regardless of who they were intended for (worth remembering if you see one in a trolley or a self checkout that might be useful).
Based on that I don't want the new system now!

Thanks for the info.
dosxuk

jonathan wrote:hopefully the contactless switch on will be soon.
I've just paid for my dinner (in the tinyest Sainsbury's I know of, it doesn't even have space for one self checkout) using contactless. The tills have all had new chip&pin machines, which was what tipped me off that something had changed.
woah

dosxuk wrote:
I've just paid for my dinner (in the tinyest Sainsbury's I know of, it doesn't even have space for one self checkout) using contactless. The tills have all had new chip&pin machines, which was what tipped me off that something had changed.
Forgive my nosiness, but is this tiny store in Sheffield? And out of interest, have the pin pads changed from the usual Ingenico ones?
dosxuk

woah wrote:Forgive my nosiness, but is this tiny store in Sheffield? And out of interest, have the pin pads changed from the usual Ingenico ones?
Yes, in Sheffield - it's the former Jacksons near the railway station. The pin pads are updated Ingenico ones, higher resolution screen than they had before, but seen all over the place.
jonathan

dosxuk wrote:
Excellent news; thanks.
Pete

Pete wrote:
Philip Cobbold wrote:The wooden cladding over the counters is being rolled out to most stores. The only exceptions are stores that haven't had a refit in a number of years, ie the ones that still have the dark blue walls, as the cost of updating the counter area is greater than the amount of money the improved counters would make back.
Dundee recently had its old blue and orange walls behind the old signage repainted white. other parts of the store remain very tatty however, especially the signage in the carpark which dates from Making Life Taste Better and its dropping to bits. The Salad bar conked out about 4 months ago and is currently being used as a dumping ground for paperwork and general tat rather than being removed and replaced with shelving. Seems a waste.

The crap old homeware section (with peeling wood effect lino and wall of clapped out tv screens) meanwhile has been removed completely and redone as standard aisles which has actually significantly improved selling space and allowed a whole aisle of clothing to appear.
Five years later and the only improvement is the salad bar was replaced with shelving. Still no self scan, still using barcode scanners from the ark that don't work, and the MLTB banners in the car park have now faded to white. The large sign at the start of the car park is covered in rust. Classy.

Cafe does a surprisingly decent breakfast though. Including pre-buttered toast. Whether this is due to the fact I once made them pay for my coat to be dry cleaned after they gave me an overly cold bit a of butter that splattered it I'm not sure...
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Philip Cobbold

Pete wrote:
Pete wrote:
Philip Cobbold wrote:The wooden cladding over the counters is being rolled out to most stores. The only exceptions are stores that haven't had a refit in a number of years, ie the ones that still have the dark blue walls, as the cost of updating the counter area is greater than the amount of money the improved counters would make back.
Dundee recently had its old blue and orange walls behind the old signage repainted white. other parts of the store remain very tatty however, especially the signage in the carpark which dates from Making Life Taste Better and its dropping to bits. The Salad bar conked out about 4 months ago and is currently being used as a dumping ground for paperwork and general tat rather than being removed and replaced with shelving. Seems a waste.

The crap old homeware section (with peeling wood effect lino and wall of clapped out tv screens) meanwhile has been removed completely and redone as standard aisles which has actually significantly improved selling space and allowed a whole aisle of clothing to appear.
Five years later and the only improvement is the salad bar was replaced with shelving. Still no self scan, still using barcode scanners from the ark that don't work, and the MLTB banners in the car park have now faded to white. The large sign at the start of the car park is covered in rust. Classy.

Cafe does a surprisingly decent breakfast though. Including pre-buttered toast. Whether this is due to the fact I once made them pay for my coat to be dry cleaned after they gave me an overly cold bit a of butter that splattered it I'm not sure...
It's really got no self scan? That must be the only main Sainsbury's that hasn't then, which is very odd. Sounds very much like a store that's been forgotten about.
Pete

Philip Cobbold wrote:It's really got no self scan? That must be the only main Sainsbury's that hasn't then, which is very odd. Sounds very much like a store that's been forgotten about.
One of the store managers told me that it's the only one in the UK without it. She joked they were very excited because previously they'd been the only one in Scotland but then the last one in England without them got refurbed making them even sitter. They'd had planning permission for an extension that kept getting denied and weren't bothering to refurb the place until they got that through.

Thing is, they won the appeal in Jan last year and nowt's happened since.
james2001

Pete wrote:
Pete wrote:

Is that the one with the KFC next to it? As I was in that KFC a few weeks back and thought the signs in the car park all looked faded and tatty.
Pete

james2001 wrote:Is that the one with the KFC next to it? As I was in that KFC a few weeks back and thought the signs in the car park all looked faded and tatty.
Correct
Philip Cobbold

Pete wrote:
Philip Cobbold wrote:It's really got no self scan? That must be the only main Sainsbury's that hasn't then, which is very odd. Sounds very much like a store that's been forgotten about.
One of the store managers told me that it's the only one in the UK without it. She joked they were very excited because previously they'd been the only one in Scotland but then the last one in England without them got refurbed making them even sitter. They'd had planning permission for an extension that kept getting denied and weren't bothering to refurb the place until they got that through.

Thing is, they won the appeal in Jan last year and nowt's happened since.
Did they say why they don't have self scan? Everyone else got them in a big roll out in about 2010, so there must have been a reason why they didn't put them in here.