The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

jonathan

jonathan wrote:
Pete wrote:The homebase at Straiton in Edinburgh (next to a Sainsburys) has been converted into a mega Next / Next Home / Costa / Beaverbrookes thingy.

Interestingly they dismantled homebase back to the metal frame and then built the new store using it.
I understand it's the third largest store in the UK and it's the third location at Straiton having last moved only a few years ago.

There's a time lapse of the construction at http://www.peelretailparks.co.uk/new-bl ... etail-park though it doesn't start with the original building: http://statics.192.com/estreet/original ... 677923.jpg

When Homebase closed around this time last year (they decided not to renew the lease) they opened a "Decorating Centre" in the nearby Argos which has also now closed.

The next nearest Homebase at St Leonards closed a couple of months later after the landlord decided to sell to be developed into student accommodation.

Have the Habitat concessions in Homebase closed yet? I imagine we'll see that brand in Sainsbury's at some point.
Was in Homebase in Edinburgh earlier and the Habitat is gone.. to be relocated to the Argos at Straiton where the Homebase Decorating Centre was located. Strange situation!
Martin Phillp

I wasn't expecting to get a refund for the free credit Sainsbury's Entertainment gave me, but they gave it to me via a call centre they've set up to handle them.
TVF's London Lite.
Pear

An Argos concession, or click and collect point to open in every Sainsbury's store in the UK.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/sa ... de-9023091
Martin Phillp

At my large Sainsbury's a 'Lloyds Pharmacy' sign is now below the Sainsbury's sign at the main entrance. Incidentally, the pharmacy is still using Sainsbury's POS, so are able to sell Sainsbury's branded products.
TVF's London Lite.
thegeek

WillPS

Martin Phillp wrote:At my large Sainsbury's a 'Lloyds Pharmacy' sign is now below the Sainsbury's sign at the main entrance. Incidentally, the pharmacy is still using Sainsbury's POS, so are able to sell Sainsbury's branded products.
That wont change in the short term. These pharmacies don't have any cash handling facilities or procedures in place; there is nowhere to count and store money if they were to take it separately.
jonathan

The self checkouts at my local Sainsbury's local have a new look. I presume this means that they have been updated to Sainsbury's new POS system. When you choose card payment it now asks you to "present card" - hopefully the contactless switch on will be soon.
woah

jonathan wrote:The self checkouts at my local Sainsbury's local have a new look. I presume this means that they have been updated to Sainsbury's new POS system. When you choose card payment it now asks you to "present card" - hopefully the contactless switch on will be soon.
This new interface has been around a while in the Local stores near me but still no sign of changes in the larger stores. Is it a sign of their new POS system or just a different interface they deem more suitable for smaller stores?
Philip Cobbold

woah wrote:
jonathan wrote:The self checkouts at my local Sainsbury's local have a new look. I presume this means that they have been updated to Sainsbury's new POS system. When you choose card payment it now asks you to "present card" - hopefully the contactless switch on will be soon.
This new interface has been around a while in the Local stores near me but still no sign of changes in the larger stores. Is it a sign of their new POS system or just a different interface they deem more suitable for smaller stores?
It's a new POS system that will eventually be rolled out everywhere. There've been many delays with it, and it's just starting to roll into Locals first.
WillPS

AIUI it is in only in 1 supermarket currently.

There are a few other customer facing changes - the Nectar balance is live, and not 'as at yesterday if you've been here before', which should stop people using Nectar balances up in different stores and owing points (not something I've tried but is possible). Also till spits and other receipts with "for you, x with Nectar card y" will actually only work for you now, whereas with the older system any will scan and apply points/discount regardless of who they were intended for (worth remembering if you see one in a trolley or a self checkout that might be useful).
Martin Phillp

Will Argos eventually have a similar POS system installed? It'd make Nectar a lot easier to use as it's never an easy experience trying to get them to deduct points and also give Argos customers the ability to earn points on their purchases.
TVF's London Lite.