The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

Philip Cobbold

WillPS wrote:
Alexia wrote:
thegeek wrote:why's it referred to as Greenwich Blue?
May have something to do with the much lauded and indeed now lamented Greenwich eco-store which opened in 1999, perhaps it was the first to carry the new branding / colour scheme?
That's it. Although in reality the blue colour scheme and different coloured signs for different areas of store had been happening for a year or two before this - Greenwich Blue brought in the new branding and had everything replaced with Interstate. Greenwich was then the template.

Ashbourne in Derbyshire is (or until recently was) one of the stores which survive the pre-Greenwich Blue scheme (typified by the "take a fresh look" branding that was applied back then).
Has Ashbourne finally been refurbished then? It was still in it's original state about 6 months ago. Redditch also had the same branding up until about a year ago, but that's finally been refurbished now.
Whataday

james2001 wrote:The strange period where they were using 2 different logos!

This one which popped up on adverts, carrier bags and the website, but I don't recall ever appearing on product labels or the main store signs (I do remember seeing some Locals with that logo though).
I associate that with the awful John Cleese campaign (note the two logos being used in the same ad):

(actually the significance has only just occurred to me of Sainsbury's bringing in Cleese while Tesco had Prunella Scales!)
Alexia

As a Sainsbury's veteran of six years' service, I can honestly say I never saw that uniform either.
WillPS

Alexia wrote:As a Sainsbury's veteran of six years' service, I can honestly say I never saw that uniform either.
Presumably that's because you joined after 1999. It definitely existed, hideous tabard and all!
bilky asko

I can't imagine Sainsbury's being plastered with VALUE and SAVE these days. Nor can I imagine such an awful logo being used.
Alexia

WillPS wrote:
Alexia wrote:As a Sainsbury's veteran of six years' service, I can honestly say I never saw that uniform either.
Presumably that's because you joined after 1999. It definitely existed, hideous tabard and all!
June 2000, but our store didn't get refurb'd until that autumn. All the females wore salmon pink.
Pete

Dundee is *still* mostly Greenwich Blue. The banners in the car park with people trying pasta and "Making life taste better" branding have now faded to white to the point the graphics look as if they're some sort of negative. The petrol station sign looks like it's about to fall off and the barcode scanners are from the ark.

They're supposedly getting a refit with their extension but god knows when that's going to happen.

Also - might be being controversial here - Everybody's favourite ingredient has never been topped as a slogan.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

Alexia wrote:
WillPS wrote:
June 2000, but our store didn't get refurb'd until that autumn. All the females wore salmon pink.
Not one I recall...
1993 was when the tabard etc. was introduced: https://jsjournals.websds.net/Content/P ... df#page=10
from there, there's no mention in the archive (except a couple from the late 90s canvassing opinions for a 'forthcoming change') until 2000:
https://jsjournals.websds.net/Content/P ... pdf#page=9

Do you have any pictures of this monstrosity?!
james2001

Thanks for that, I've just spent about an hour looking through those! It has answered a question I wondered though- when did the J SAINSBURY signs on stores change from Yellow to Orange, the Store Opening section there indicates it was at the very beginning of 1992!
Whataday

james2001 wrote:Thanks for that, I've just spent about an hour looking through those! It has answered a question I wondered though- when did the J SAINSBURY signs on stores change from Yellow to Orange, the Store Opening section there indicates it was at the very beginning of 1992!
Are you sure? The Thanet store here appears to have orange signage:
https://jsjournals.websds.net/Content/P ... pdf#page=2
WillPS

Whataday wrote:
james2001 wrote:Thanks for that, I've just spent about an hour looking through those! It has answered a question I wondered though- when did the J SAINSBURY signs on stores change from Yellow to Orange, the Store Opening section there indicates it was at the very beginning of 1992!
Are you sure? The Thanet store here appears to have orange signage:
https://jsjournals.websds.net/Content/P ... pdf#page=2
It's not the best photo - but I'd say it's yellow. https://jsjournals.websds.net/Content/P ... pdf#page=9