The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

Philip Cobbold

Looks like Interstate has finally been dropped from store signage now. The new store that's just opened at Welwyn Garden City uses the new slab font for everything.
SirKen

http://www.ukretailers.blogspot.com/201 ... -from.html

Looking at the non food side of Heaton Park, Manchester first. Food is to follow... XL store format so 97,000 sq ft!
Jonny

Philip Cobbold wrote:Looks like Interstate has finally been dropped from store signage now. The new store that's just opened at Welwyn Garden City uses the new slab font for everything.
An ill-judged move if so, it'll date quickly.
Pete

Notable that they seem to be using mixed case however rather than the horrible Dimblebot emulation on most of the offer POS of late.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
SirKen

Here's part 2 of the epic XL store in Manchester.

http://ukretailers.blogspot.com/2012/02 ... by-no.html
scottishtv

Could someone clarify what the larger tickets/ticket-holders (like that one shown above) are called? Also, would there be guidelines from head office on their use?

My local store seems to have gone into overdrive in using these on chilled and grocery sections. In nearly every case they have positioned this large ticket over the individual price of the product which means you can't see the price of a single item. The holder is also fixed (it doesn't 'flap up') so it's really hard to see the price of one item of what you're trying to buy. This is especially true if there is only one facing, or width, of the item in question. Really starting to piss me off.

In other news, I note self service tills have been updated with Live Well For Less branding, and now work out your bogofs or multi-buy offers as you put them through. It does seems to cause a slight 'thinking time' lag though...

(Image is from SirKen's blog.)
WillPS

They're called Barkers and the holders are either called Barker Holders or Barker Plastics depending on the store. There's specific guidelines regarding how they go out and a hierarchy in order of importance. Price tickets should never be covered any more, and previously they should only have been covered if the barker contained all the customer relevant information.

There's a limit of I think 1 big barker or 2 small barkers per shelf also.

Any idea how the supermarkets are going to deal with the cigarette display regs coming in April 1st?
Philip Cobbold

They're putting 3 or 4 doors in front of the current display, which you can open to get something out and then close again straight after.
WillPS

Philip Cobbold wrote:They're putting 3 or 4 doors in front of the current display, which you can open to get something out and then close again straight after.
Sounds a bit utilitarian. Hope they decorate them with vinyls or something.
ashley b

I was in an Asda the other day which have already installed them over the cigarettes. They were all white with just some rather plain ID realated stuff (by which I mean "you have to be 18 to buy" type things.) Didn't look great to be honest, but I guess they had to come up with a quick solution.
*whistle*