English only:

barcode

I have been talking with some of my English peeps( any better words) and there started to kick off about how Scotland get this and Wales get that, and I pointed out in many classes it because we spend the money on different priority, thus its most likely down in England there will be services and schemes which get different priority.

Here the thing I have no idea what these area, and nor did there, so can any of your good people know what there all are. Im sure we have touched upon this before but never have a full debate about it.
Lorns

The way i understand it ( probably incorrectly) is that Scotland get free uni tuition fees and Wales free prescriptions all at the expense of English tax payers. Also Scotland and Wales want independence from England but will still want subsidising from the English taxpayer.

I have not given this subject much thought or research.
Mental anxiety, Mental breakdowns, Menstrual cramps, Menopause... Did you ever notice how all our problems begin with Men?
Lorns

The way some little Englanders talk its as if Scot and Wales don't pay taxes. I know all business rates get lumped into one big pool and then distributed around the country,. I have no issue we are all Brits and we should look after our own first. If that means Scotland gets something England dosen't and England benefits where Wales does not, i don't see where there is a problem.
Mental anxiety, Mental breakdowns, Menstrual cramps, Menopause... Did you ever notice how all our problems begin with Men?
WillPS

Lorns wrote:The way some little Englanders talk its as if Scot and Wales don't pay taxes. I know all business rates get lumped into one big pool and then distributed around the country,. I have no issue we are all Brits and we should look after our own first. If that means Scotland gets something England dosen't and England benefits where Wales does not, i don't see where there is a problem.
The thing is - there's no cases where we get something the Welsh don't...
barcode

WillPS wrote:
Lorns wrote:The way some little Englanders talk its as if Scot and Wales don't pay taxes. I know all business rates get lumped into one big pool and then distributed around the country,. I have no issue we are all Brits and we should look after our own first. If that means Scotland gets something England dosen't and England benefits where Wales does not, i don't see where there is a problem.
I do know that with the NHS budget, I do know that there is a number of items which Scotland does not get. The free uni in scotland is at breaking point as well the government cant really pay proper fees to the uni thus the budgets have in fact been cut.

I still don't understand why people think English subsidise the Scots/welsh.
WillPS

barcode wrote:
WillPS wrote:
I do know that with the NHS budget, I do know that there is a number of items which Scotland does not get. The free uni in scotland is at breaking point as well the government cant really pay proper fees to the uni thus the budgets have in fact been cut.

I still don't understand why people think English subsidise the Scots/welsh.
How else does the WAG afford all the language stuff (which I appreciate there is a need for) and all the 'nice to have's like no prescription charge and the "WAG express" which carts 5 carriages of fresh air every day from Cardiff to Holyhead and return?
barcode

So you believe the "crap" that English do subsidise the Scots and welsh? and what this Wags Express?

I could just put it down to the fact that current Scottish government has better since of spending their money, on service that people want.
dosxuk

barcode wrote:So you believe the "crap" that English do subsidise the Scots and welsh? and what this Wags Express?
The "WAG Express" is a train service which nobody wants and nobody uses. But the WAG think it's something that people want, so they subsidise it with a ridiculous amount of money which could be better spent elsewhere.

The "crap" that the english subsidise the scots and welsh is not "crap" - it's true. And can be even more localised, in that people in the south east of england subsidise everyone else.
barcode wrote:I could just put it down to the fact that current Scottish government has better since of spending their money, on service that people want.
You could do, but that wouldn't make it true.
Alexia

dosxuk wrote:The "WAG Express" is a train service which nobody wants and nobody uses. But the WAG think it's something that people want, so they subsidise it with a ridiculous amount of money which could be better spent elsewhere.
It's not quite fresh air, nor is it 5 carriages (it's one first class plus buffet and another three standard classes) all pulled by a clapped out old Class 57 (to be replaced by a 67 soon). It's called the WAG express because its primary clientele are Welsh Assembly members and their civil service entourages. It leaves Holyhead at 5:45am and gets to Cardiff for about 9:30am, and goes back again at 16:15.

They're thinking about doubling the number of services....

EDIT :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bushcutta/ ... /lightbox/
barcode

dosxuk wrote: The "crap" that the english subsidise the scots and welsh is not "crap" - it's true. And can be even more localised, in that people in the south east of england subsidise everyone else.
Then in that since, yorkshire, Tyneside etc are all Subsidise as well,

Thanks for the infor, both of you about the Wag service.
dosxuk

barcode wrote:
dosxuk wrote: The "crap" that the english subsidise the scots and welsh is not "crap" - it's true. And can be even more localised, in that people in the south east of england subsidise everyone else.
Then in that since, yorkshire, Tyneside etc are all Subsidise as well,
Indeed.