Google+

aeonsource

WillPS wrote:Done.
Thanks!
:V
martindtanderson

Philip wrote:No, I haven't got an invite yet, but TWiG had a whole episode last night about it where you can get a really good idea of it. Hangouts look really good, for example.

I love TWiT!
nidave

I think there's a real opportunity here for Google+ to become dominant in the market.

When I first joined Facebook it was pretty much ad-free, there were no apps, and it was limited to universities which stripped down the number of undesirable people (and fake accounts) that I wouldn't want to 'network' with online. Whilst I appreciate that Facebook need to advertise, their implementation has been poor - and the apps just annoying. I barely ever go on Facebook now because it's just a spamfest where people flood your inbox with self indulgent DJing events, horoscope invites and advertising groups. Obviously I can filter them out one by one, but that's tedious.
This is a huge part of the appeal for some people... the API and allowing "apps". Facebook as a great way to connect with people who you would not normally reach.
I run a few gay club nights in Manchester, I use facebook (and now twitter) to chat to people, give out information and answer questions. I love the circles idea (and I am sure facebook will implement something similar).

They have changed the inbox's on facebook - if its a blanket message it goes into an "updates" folder. this is separate from the main inbox. (I don't even look at mine) - actually I look at it even less since I have been suspended :)
martindtanderson wrote: It will all depend on how open Google are when it comes time to open up the APIs for developers to build their own mobile apps, and for other phone OS makers like Apple and Microsoft to intergrate Google+ into their phones. Google are still putting in blocks for some APIs so Microsoft can't make a more fully featured YouTube app for Windows Phone 7, compared to the iOS and Android apps.
I dont think Google can afford to be fussy. They will need to let every tom, dick and sally (not being sexist) to connect or else it will not reach the same critical mass.
Look at Windows phone 7 - it has a huge amount of facebook integration. Lots of other phones do the same by different amounts. Google needs to make it very easy for users to create content.

Like all these sorts of things it all depends on how much you use facebook and what you get out of it.
marksi

thanks for the invite btw!!!
Philip

martindtanderson wrote:
Philip wrote:No, I haven't got an invite yet, but TWiG had a whole episode last night about it where you can get a really good idea of it. Hangouts look really good, for example.

I love TWiT!
It's a great network; I don't think there's anyone else out there producing technology shows. Great for stuff like this too where you can see people actually using the product live on-screen. I hear they're moving to a new studio in a few weeks more akin to a TV studio, and it'll become a 24/7 production in time.
martindtanderson

Philip wrote:
martindtanderson wrote:

I love TWiT!
It's a great network; I don't think there's anyone else out there producing technology shows. Great for stuff like this too where you can see people actually using the product live on-screen. I hear they're moving to a new studio in a few weeks more akin to a TV studio, and it'll become a 24/7 production in time.
I have been a fan of TWiT for years, and the new studio is due to go live on the 21st.

Current Studio (The TWiT Cottage)

The New Studios WIP (The TWiT Brick House)
Finn

It's way too quiet in Google+ for me to want to be bothered with it at the moment.

*sad early adopter*
Gavin Scott
Admin

Neil DG wrote:It's way too quiet in Google+ for me to want to be bothered with it at the moment.

*sad early adopter*
Likewise, although I would like to see a metro-hangout at some point in the future.

The other thing is, odd though this might be as reasons go - I don't like signing into gmail and then being anywhere other than my inbox.
Finn

I tend to keep various sites (now including +) as pinned/app tabs (I'm currently using Chrome). so I can zip between them.

I hope they'll integrate the notifications bit with notifications for Gmail, Reader etc
Pete

meanwhile, google+ is now apparently open to all with a google account

also, gmail has a new google+ style design, if you pop into settings and choose "preview" or "preview (dense)" you'll see it. Rather nice imo
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

Pete wrote:meanwhile, google+ is now apparently open to all with a google account

also, gmail has a new google+ style design, if you pop into settings and choose "preview" or "preview (dense)" you'll see it. Rather nice imo
Oooh, I like, but I already miss the 'Phantasea' theme. I hope they roll the style over though!