Google+

iSon

Go on then.

I'm always last to arrive but it will be more fun once I'm there.

jamesison at the usual google hosted mail service if that's OK with you?
Good Lord!
jsm

Hi all, I'm not able to send invites today because I'm traveling without a computer, and I can't invite via my smartphone. Perhaps the people I've invited already would be able to return the favor to those who want an invite. I think I posted the link to the invite workaround on the first page.
WillPS

Done.
WillPS

If anybody on TV Forum, but not here, wants one - drop a PM.
Chris J

An invite would be awesome. I'm slowlyrusting at the usual google ending :)
WillPS

Chris J wrote:An invite would be awesome. I'm slowlyrusting at the usual google ending :)
Done!
martindtanderson

I am looking forward to trying out the hangout function, as I am at my computer most of the time, and it will be interesting to see people pop up online through the day.

Oh if any invites are going spare, its mdtauk at gmail dot com
eoin

Some very interesting reading about why this Circles thing might be a winner for Google:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/07/01/paul-a ... irlfriend/

(see the presentation at the bottom of the post)
aeonsource

Could I have an invite?
I'm aealtrus at gmail.com
:V
WillPS

Done.
martindtanderson

I think there's a real opportunity here for Google+ to become dominant in the market.

When I first joined Facebook it was pretty much ad-free, there were no apps, and it was limited to universities which stripped down the number of undesirable people (and fake accounts) that I wouldn't want to 'network' with online. Whilst I appreciate that Facebook need to advertise, their implementation has been poor - and the apps just annoying. I barely ever go on Facebook now because it's just a spamfest where people flood your inbox with self indulgent DJing events, horoscope invites and advertising groups. Obviously I can filter them out one by one, but that's tedious.

I do use Facebook's mobile site all the time - but that's ad-free and has no apps, and as soon as that changes it will be a sad day. Facebook have currently said their mobile apps etc don't carry adverts to streamline the mobile experience and keep people going back to the full site for apps - but they're actually the thing driving me away!

If Google+ goes about apps and adverts in a neat way - like they seem to have done with Gmail - then they could be on to a winner.

Of course, one of the benefits of Facebook is its "open pool" of people, it's good for doing a big of a cheeky stalk. In a way, I preferred the site when there were no privacy settings and you can hunt down whoever you want. There, the golden rule "if you don't want it online, don't post it online" was key. Nowadays you track somebody down and their entire profile is hidden. Boo.
It will all depend on how open Google are when it comes time to open up the APIs for developers to build their own mobile apps, and for other phone OS makers like Apple and Microsoft to intergrate Google+ into their phones. Google are still putting in blocks for some APIs so Microsoft can't make a more fully featured YouTube app for Windows Phone 7, compared to the iOS and Android apps.