Windows Phone 7

nidave

I thought I would start a thread about WP7 - there has been one on Android and iPhone.

I have to say I am very very impressed with it so far. (I have a HTC 7 Mozart)
There are some thins missing and we are still only on first gen hardware but I have to say the OS is very polished.

I am missing 3 apps that I used regularly on the iPhone but the rest of them have an official or unofficial equivalent. There is a big update due in a few months which will open up a lot more of the phone so the apps should start coming thick and fast.
martindtanderson

I am on Windows Phone 7 too, and I have a couple of apps on the marketplace I have designed. <plug>Search for City Travel London</plug>

Love the Metro interface, along with Zune and my Zune HD.

The Mango update looks interesting as a user and a developer!
nidave

martindtanderson wrote:I am on Windows Phone 7 too, and I have a couple of apps on the marketplace I have designed. <plug>Search for City Travel London</plug>

Love the Metro interface, along with Zune and my Zune HD.

The Mango update looks interesting as a user and a developer!
I will have a look at the apps - I wish I could develop for it.
The Metro UI is very slick and has some great features - The tiles are a great idea and hopefully people make the most of them.

I do think there are a few things that could be changed.. instead of having pinned people on the home screen they appear on a new column on the left of the current stack with me at the top (me as in user)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nidave/5711384224/ gives you an idea (bad mock)
This would make contacting your favorites a load quicker.

Mango looks cool and I cant wait for a Nokia phone with a decent camera.
Critique

My mother has recently decided that she's no longer capable of buying/deciding on a new mobile phone. Having previously owned an iPhone, she's looking towards WP7, the HTC 7 Mozart, in particular. Dave, you say you have one of these - what's your opinion of it?
martindtanderson

Critique wrote:My mother has recently decided that she's no longer capable of buying/deciding on a new mobile phone. Having previously owned an iPhone, she's looking towards WP7, the HTC 7 Mozart, in particular. Dave, you say you have one of these - what's your opinion of it?
You may consider me biased, but I think WP7 is a good choice because it doesn't require lots of configuring like Android, and is simpler to make your way around with clear text, large tiles and a general uncluttered UI
nidave

Critique wrote:My mother has recently decided that she's no longer capable of buying/deciding on a new mobile phone. Having previously owned an iPhone, she's looking towards WP7, the HTC 7 Mozart, in particular. Dave, you say you have one of these - what's your opinion of it?
I find it a nice phone with great features, however there are still quite a few things missing from it (a lot of which will be sorted over the coming year).
(I also don't like the fact the volume is very low)

Go through the apps used on the iPhone and list the ones used regularly.. Check they have an equivalent on WP7.

I miss the notifications from facebook - the app is awesome though - things are actually in the correct order unlike the iphone version.

Edit: that sounds quite negative, WP7 is a great phone, great OS and very easy to use esp for people who are not as technical - its also very joined up - and it looks like its only going to be more intragated as time goes on.
I.E. facebook chat and twitter (if you are into those sorts of things.)

I am over the moon I can see my upcoming calender events - so much better than the iphone. (it only shows the next event at the moment but you will be able to customise that soon - and it does not synch with outlook at the moment - you need to do it via gmail or hotmail. )
Critique

Thanks very much to both of you for your opinions. The O2 representative I spoke to was very negative about a WP7 device - so much that she immediately tried to sell me a Desire instead, as they're 'easier to use'. From reviews and initial research, WP7 appears to be easy to use and indeed, rather fluid. I think she'll be getting a Mozart, as it appears to meet her needs.
nidave

Critique wrote:Thanks very much to both of you for your opinions. The O2 representative I spoke to was very negative about a WP7 device - so much that she immediately tried to sell me a Desire instead, as they're 'easier to use'. From reviews and initial research, WP7 appears to be easy to use and indeed, rather fluid. I think she'll be getting a Mozart, as it appears to meet her needs.
Metro (the UI) is awesome and very intuitive. I had that with O2 even though I told them exactly what I wanted. I wonder if they get more commission on a Desire.
martindtanderson

They anti Microsoft feeling is like a virus, difficult to get rid of.
nidave

martindtanderson wrote:They anti Microsoft feeling is like a virus, difficult to get rid of.
I notice that on most of the blogs and forums.. its a trendy thing to do.