The finest sausage rolls in all the land

WillPS

Nicely resurrected. I've got a liking for the Black Pudding sausage rolls M&S do on their Deli counters.
thegeek

barcode wrote:I'm not a big fan of Greggs Hot stuff, like the bake or even the awful pizzas, there cant even produce Steak bride and the Bacon wraps are just cheap knock off of other local bakery products.

There Sandwiches are wonderful and some of the cakes there do are in the league.
It's still very much a regional affair - I find Glasgow Greggs to be far superior to London Greggs - in both range and quality.

Incidentally, at breakfast time, Greggs (and I suppose other bakeries) offer sausagemeat encased in puff pastry; and a sausage (or two) served in a bread roll.
In Scotland, the former is a 'sausage roll', and the latter is a 'roll and sausage' - but how do you disambiguate elsewhere?
bilky asko

Sausage roll and sausage sandwich is how I distinguish the two, as do the local bakery chain Cooplands (not the evil Doncaster Cooplands, the Scarborough one).
Alexia

Sausage roll, Sausage bap. Sausage baguette is also ambiguous, as a baguette in some places (like my local bacon buttie drop in centre) is actually just a long bap, not crusty, which is what a baguette should be.
Finn

Poundbakery (think they're Hampsons/Sayers as well) do really nice veggie sausage rolls.
thegeek

bilky asko wrote:Sausage roll and sausage sandwich is how I distinguish the two
In which case, what would you call sausage(s) between two slices of bread?
bilky asko

thegeek wrote:
bilky asko wrote:Sausage roll and sausage sandwich is how I distinguish the two
In which case, what would you call sausage(s) between two slices of bread?
A sausage sandwich. The bread is merely a delivery mechanism for sausages, I wouldn't feel the need to distinguish the types of bread.

EDIT: Thinking about it, if I really wanted to distinguish it, I would do it like this

Sausage roll - pastry-encrusted sausage meat (sausage roll is only ever used to mean this round here)
Sausage bap - sausages in a bap
Sausage sandwich - sausages in between two slices of bread
Alexia

Central Cafe in Cardiff (opposite Greggs!) will do you, for £3 whole pounds, a sausage and bacon baguette with onions and barbeque sauce.

Heart attack free.
DJDave

all new Phil wrote:The ones from Hampsons are really good (think it's called Sayers in some particular parts of our region?). I'm always slightly disappointed by the ones from Greggs, however - they tend to be a bit on the dry side.

I'm quite partial to a good sausage roll, although I don't eat them nearly as often as I should.
Yeah, Sayers the Bakers aka Pound Bakery are the best, supermarket wise Sainsbury's do the best ones.