The Americans and the Brits

woah

Just flicking around channels - it's amazing how vile so many American shows starring British people are - and the stereotype that follows it is even worse.

The American version of Hell's Kitchen was just on - and one of the chefs didn't serve Gordon Ramsay's family quick enough, resulting in him shoving the meal in this guy's stomach saying 'Shut your dirty fucking east-coast mouth - if you can't serve my family quick enough then fuck off out of here!' or something like that. I know Gordon's not the friendliest of guys but this was so cringingly forced and put on that it makes me wonder how Americans actually believe the rubbish they are seeing?!

It's not only this - it's programs like the American version of Supernanny too - with Jo Frost ridiculously turning up in a London cab like that's the way every British person gets everywhere - and with her umbrella so she's 'Mary Poppins'! Not forgetting other awful programs like Kim Woodburn's Rude Awakenings - and other delightful British people now coming to American TV such as Piers Morgan and Jeremy Kyle.

Of course, Americans love watching British people boss everyone around and shout and be authoriative, because they apparently have a 'funny accent.'

It's a real shame though, because most Americans still seem to have this view that we all live in cottages sipping our cups of tea, watching Songs of Praise on the BBC with 'crumpets' and 'hot cross buns'. If only we could see some properly decent British shows being shown on American TV that show we're actually in the 21st Century and not 1925.
Sput

Episodes?
Knight knight
Gavin Scott
Admin

Sput wrote:Episodes?
The exception that proves the rule, and were it to be a bigger hit stateside then it might have started to reverse the trend. It's not getting much promo time here, and it's a brilliant show.

Just came back from Epcot, and walked through the "Britain" part of the "world experience". It consisted of a minature Windsor Castle (with a "High Street" street sign attached, as that's where we put our castles, of course), and thatched cottages cheek by jowel with Regency terraces. The food also consisted of stake and kidney pies, and a fish and chip shop that came with a side order of shortbread.

Hi-larious.

But they were lapping it up - and when I wandered round France and Italy etc I found myself thinking, "these are more realistic" - when of course they're probably not. So perhaps my world view is as steeped in brush-stroke cliches as theirs is.

Meh - at least the Brits are getting lots of work over here. Shouldn't complain in that respect. My old drama school pal is now in Greys Anatomy. He's another one that plays a nice man, which of course demands he does it with an American accent. If he did it with a British accent he'd be playing a villain.
Alexia

Sci-fi and cult seems to be kinder to British/Irish people:

Giles / Wesley (and eventually Spike) from Buffy were all "good guys"

Miles O'Brien and Malcolm Reid from DS9 and Enterprise (plus Marina Sirtis, although she had to go all Loyd Grossman midlantic for her role)

The main problem I have is programmes being re-made for USA TV. Payne, The Office, etc.

Always strikes me as odd that people think British shows need to be "altered" for USA audiences when you get people like Joss Whedon and Seth McFarlane, two of Hollywood's biggest and well respected series creators, saying they learnt their particular brand of world view based on watching British TV shows like Fawlty Towers on PBS.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Alexia wrote:Sci-fi and cult seems to be kinder to British/Irish people:

Giles / Wesley (and eventually Spike) from Buffy were all "good guys"

Miles O'Brien and Malcolm Reid from DS9 and Enterprise (plus Marina Sirtis, although she had to go all Loyd Grossman midlantic for her role)

The main problem I have is programmes being re-made for USA TV. Payne, The Office, etc.

Always strikes me as odd that people think British shows need to be "altered" for USA audiences when you get people like Joss Whedon and Seth McFarlane, two of Hollywood's biggest and well respected series creators, saying they learnt their particular brand of world view based on watching British TV shows like Fawlty Towers on PBS.
Seth is of Scottish decent. His parents certanly are I recall hearing. I don't think he was well respected, until he made Fox squillions of dollars.

Shameless, the US version, is being talked about here. Haven't seen a trailer, but the mind boggles.
Alexia

Gavin Scott wrote:Shameless, the US version, is being talked about here. Haven't seen a trailer, but the mind boggles.
Trailer trash from the deep south methinks.
jsm

I assure you that Americans (save for Middle America) do not view the UK as being like "Mary Poppins". Most of my peers are really into contemporary British shows like Misfits and Skins, so our perception is much different than that of our parents, who grew up with "Mary Poppins".

How do you all perceive Americans? I would hope that you guys don't perceive Americans as being insular, intolerant idiots who have no regard for the world around them, because I'm afraid that's the image we've projected.
dbl

Alexia wrote:
Gavin Scott wrote:Shameless, the US version, is being talked about here. Haven't seen a trailer, but the mind boggles.
Trailer trash from the deep south methinks.
Chicago. Although the set up is rather different, its more set in a working class neighbourhood than a council estate.