Wireless TV senders interfere with Wi-fi

Reeves

I've finally managed to set up a Logik Wireless AV sender so we can pick up Sky in the kitchen. However, once that was sorted, our Sky router started playing up, giving us orange lights and no connection. I eventually realised that it started working again once I turned off the AV senders. Now, considering the router is on the upper floor, and the AV senders are nowhere near the router or a computer, is there any way I can stop these devices conflicting?

Many thanks
WillPS

Combinations of metal and concrete separating the two is known to work pretty well.

Alternately, changing the channel on which either device transmits is worth a try. There are Digisender-like devices which work on a different frequency entirely, but they seem to be unable to penetrate water - which causes a problem when, say, a person gets in the way.
Dr Lobster*

yep, loads of things do this, i had a wireless playstation controller that did the same thing.

fortunately, there is a solution.

if you look on the tv sender, it should hopefully somewhere on the unit or in the instructions tell you what frequency it uses.

you can simply change the channel on your router so it will use a different frequency.

if you look on this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

you'll see what frequency each channel uses. just try moving it to one furthest away from the frequency of the tv sender.

if it doesn't tell you what frequency it uses, just try moving it up a couple of channels at a time and see what happens.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Apparently they can still be problematic even on different channels.

There's 5.8Ghz video senders available now that put an end to conflicts like this if changing channel doesn't resolve it.
Neil Jones

The WLAN channel is only half the story.

All these devices, including Wi-Fi signals, cordless telephones and the wireless TV sender devices, all use the same part of the spectrum - 2.4Ghz. This part of the spectrum is chock-a-block with all kinds of things that you may find around the home - the general rule is if it's wireless, it almost always certainly works at 2.4Ghz. Even microwaves in use emit on this wavelength, and older units screw Wi-Fi up completely due to lack of shielding.
WillPS

Gavin Scott wrote:Apparently they can still be problematic even on different channels.

There's 5.8Ghz video senders available now that put an end to conflicts like this if changing channel doesn't resolve it.
They do suffer from interference from human movement though; 5.8ghz doesn't easily penetrate water.
Reeves

Thanks for the help, guys. I tried changing the channels on the senders, all of which would eventually knock the wireless out. I might give changing the router channel a go at some point and see if that helps.