Android and other phone gossip

Inspector Sands

Gavin Scott wrote:
When I first edited my contacts, the resultant file size was around 5MB. It swelled to 10MB once I had made all those facebook and twitter associations on the phone.

When I look in contacts on gmail now, those with facebook and twitter have the following information appended in the notes section...

...so you might find that filesize start to creep up a bit once it adds all the social networking links.

The example shown above is my sister, who has 4 contact numbers, twitter and facebook, hence the multiple entries.
The extra space used up when you add Facebook and Twitter is probably also the thumbnails it uses from each for the contact.

Incidently, does anyone know how I can dissociate my Twitter account with my contacts? I still want to have the account on my phone for Peep/Friendstream but don't need them as contacts
marksi

Ah, sorry Inspector Sands, meant to reply to that the other day, you did ask me!

Settings, Accounts and Sync, Twitter, untick Sync Contacts.

I've done the same with Twitter for HTC Sense but you could presumably leave it on.

Then went to People, Menu, View, and untick Twitter.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Inspector Sands wrote:Hmmm, how did you put your contacts into the phone when you got it?
It was a frickin nightmare.

As there wasn't a nokia>gmail app in the Ovi store (or there was and I didn't see it), I got a Nokia app to export contacts as a CSV, and then opened that in excel - doing exactly the thing that Sput did and lost all the zeros from the start of the numbers.

I spent ages reading the Help to see if there was an excel forumla that added zeros to the start of the numbers - got it wrong several times, ending up with decimal points and suchlike; then gave up and amended all the numbers manually.

I think I then imported that into Outlook (when I had it on my PC) and synced.

In any event, I ended up with duplicates for EVERYTHING, and I didn't merge the likes of "AJ" with "Andy J" and "Andy Johnston" etc, so the whole thing was a disaster.

It took the edge off my love-thang with my new phone, let me tell you - but I got it back.
Inspector Sands

marksi wrote:Ah, sorry Inspector Sands, meant to reply to that the other day, you did ask me!

Settings, Accounts and Sync, Twitter, untick Sync Contacts.

I've done the same with Twitter for HTC Sense but you could presumably leave it on.

Then went to People, Menu, View, and untick Twitter.
Ahhh, thanks, that's what I tried when I had a go myself (although I've had Twitter unviewed in contacts for a while as I got a load of celebrities popping up amongst friends!).

I only have an option for 'Twitter on HTC Sync' which is unticked but that doesn't seem to remove them from contacts, I assume it just stops them reflecting any changes. I suspect I'll have to do a Gavin style delete and re-sync to remove them?
Inspector Sands

Gavin Scott wrote:
Inspector Sands wrote:Hmmm, how did you put your contacts into the phone when you got it?
It was a frickin nightmare.

As there wasn't a nokia>gmail app in the Ovi store (or there was and I didn't see it), I got a Nokia app to export contacts as a CSV, and then opened that in excel

It took the edge off my love-thang with my new phone, let me tell you - but I got it back.
That's a shame as there was probably a way to do it without an app.

I had a Nokia 6300 and discovered that I could just use Google Sync to upload all the contacts via GPRS just by changing a few settings (http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bi ... opic=15015 although other Nokia's have a similar configuration) It amazed me that it was possible and made the whole process painless. Unfortunately it couldn't do the same with the calender!
Netizen

Gavin Scott wrote:I spent ages reading the Help to see if there was an excel forumla that added zeros to the start of the numbers - got it wrong several times, ending up with decimal points and suchlike; then gave up and amended all the numbers manually.

Code: Select all

=CONCATENATE("0",A1)
Where A1 is the cell with the phone number. Ooh look, not posted in ages and it's something useful!
Gavin Scott
Admin

Netizen wrote:
Gavin Scott wrote:I spent ages reading the Help to see if there was an excel forumla that added zeros to the start of the numbers - got it wrong several times, ending up with decimal points and suchlike; then gave up and amended all the numbers manually.

Code: Select all

=CONCATENATE("0",A1)
Where A1 is the cell with the phone number. Ooh look, not posted in ages and it's something useful!
*waves*

It'll come in handy for someone.
Inspector Sands

The Android Market is now on the web: http://market.android.com

You can browse the site for an app then click 'install' and your phone downloads and installs it over the air. The site even knew which applications I had already installed when I logged into it, it's all very clever this 'cloud' thing.

Incidently, I was amazed to discover the other week that Google Listen syncs up to the Google Reader website - you can manage, listen to and edit your subscriptions online. I always assumed that when I downloaded a podcast from the BBC I was getting it straight from a BBC server but it seems that I'm just getting it from Google which does all the hard work.
marksi

My contacts were back up to 9.4MB. I haven't added any contacts.

Have done a "clear data" and resync and now it's back to 4.8MB.

EDIT: Two hours later and it's synced back to 8.75MB. WTF?
Pete

marksi wrote:My contacts were back up to 9.4MB. I haven't added any contacts.

Have done a "clear data" and resync and now it's back to 4.8MB.

EDIT: Two hours later and it's synced back to 8.75MB. WTF?
Mine seems to be content at about 5mb. Am generally ignoring it. Now the only thing that annoys me is the fact that any old random's phone number from facebook (i.e. yours) still appears when I press phone despite me explicitly telling the thing to ignore facebook phone numbers.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Sput

Does anyone else's screen switch on, then then back off at precise 30-minute intervals as though someone is pressing the power button then not doing anything to follow it up?

OMG this reminds me of the haunted bbc micro story from strange but true.
Knight knight