3 licence Windows 7

On The Rocks
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 16.51

Mon 06 Dec, 2010 20.38

My friend has now got Windows 7 on her laptop cos a friend had purchased a 3 licence copy and wasn't using one.

My friend is no relation and does not live with them. Is this allowed?

Seems wrong to me


-
User avatar
Pete
Posts: 7146
Joined: Fri 15 Aug, 2003 13.36
Location: Dundee

Mon 06 Dec, 2010 20.39

On The Rocks wrote:My friend has now got Windows 7 on her laptop cos a friend had purchased a 3 licence copy and wasn't using one.

My friend is no relation and does not live with them. Is this allowed?

Seems wrong to me
If its a three licence copy then it can be used on three computers, otherwise its just a waste. Exactly what is the issue?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
On The Rocks
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 16.51

Mon 06 Dec, 2010 20.48

No issue I was concerned as it is called a Family pack the person had to be living there or family.


-
Neil Jones
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2003 20.03
Location: West Midlands

Mon 06 Dec, 2010 22.34

On The Rocks wrote:No issue I was concerned as it is called a Family pack the person had to be living there or family.
-
Nowhere in the literature for this product does it have any clause that says "only for use by live-in relatives" or similar. Anyway I very much doubt Bill Gates is going to come round your house one day and, of all things, fire up every computer in the place to check you're not ripping him off.

The same argument applies for a family car. Does it mean I can't drive it because I don't have a partner and two kids? I hardly think William Ford's going to come round and decree I can't drive a Ford Focus without Mrs Jones and Neil Junior in the back.
Alexia
Posts: 2966
Joined: Sat 01 Oct, 2005 17.50

Mon 06 Dec, 2010 22.35

On The Rocks wrote:No issue I was concerned as it is called a Family pack the person had to be living there or family.
-
:shock:

Who's going to know? Seriously? For every kind hearted soul who gives away a free copy of W7 to a friend, there's umpteen dozen unscrupulous beggars selling their spare copies on eBay.
On The Rocks
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 16.51

Mon 06 Dec, 2010 23.16

I am not trying to be the moral police at all I was curious, plus saying it is available on eBay - two wrongs wouldn't make a right.


-
Jake
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue 27 Jun, 2006 13.00
Location: Derbyshire

Mon 06 Dec, 2010 23.47

On The Rocks wrote:I am not trying to be the moral police at all I was curious, plus saying it is available on eBay - two wrongs wouldn't make a right.


-
It's probably against the terms of the licence, but it's been paid for so might as well be put to use.
User avatar
Gavin Scott
Admin
Posts: 6430
Joined: Fri 15 Aug, 2003 13.16
Location: Edinburgh

Tue 07 Dec, 2010 09.27

Jake wrote:
On The Rocks wrote:I am not trying to be the moral police at all I was curious, plus saying it is available on eBay - two wrongs wouldn't make a right.


-
It's probably against the terms of the licence, but it's been paid for so might as well be put to use.
I honestly can't see why it would be against the terms of the licence anyway.

You purchase 3 licences, so you're free to use them as you see fit - which would include gifting them to another individual.

Microsoft's concern is that a single licence is copied - and if they detect it then they'll disable it. They're not concerned where you put a legitimate one.
Jake
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue 27 Jun, 2006 13.00
Location: Derbyshire

Tue 07 Dec, 2010 19.23

Gavin Scott wrote:
Jake wrote:
On The Rocks wrote:I am not trying to be the moral police at all I was curious, plus saying it is available on eBay - two wrongs wouldn't make a right.


-
It's probably against the terms of the licence, but it's been paid for so might as well be put to use.
I honestly can't see why it would be against the terms of the licence anyway.

You purchase 3 licences, so you're free to use them as you see fit - which would include gifting them to another individual.

Microsoft's concern is that a single licence is copied - and if they detect it then they'll disable it. They're not concerned where you put a legitimate one.
You're quite right, it's simply 3 licences in a box.
User avatar
WillPS
Posts: 1984
Joined: Tue 22 Apr, 2008 18.32
Location: Carlton
Contact:

Thu 09 Dec, 2010 08.43

Well... I'm sure Microsoft wouldn't be happy with me giving out the licenses I receive through MSDNAA...
Image
User avatar
lukey
Posts: 587
Joined: Thu 25 May, 2006 01.11
Location: London
Contact:

Thu 09 Dec, 2010 10.06

But then the MSDNAA licenses are bizarre anyway - suggesting that software can't be used for commercial purposes, or thanks to some particularly vague language - using a server as a server. I get that the spirit of these licenses is so that developers can play with APIs etc. but I'd assume it's just a nice way to make sure students are groomed to stay within the MS ecosystem for as long as possible while there was no chance of them paying for VS, TFS and WinServer anyway.
Post Reply