Question for you Firefox People

Nick Harvey
God

Many, many years ago, I loaded an extra font, Dom Casual, onto one of my previous computers. Every time I've upgraded, I've loaded it onto the new machine.

I've had no problems whatsoever with using and seeing it, till the latest version of Firefox came along. Previous Firefox versions were okay. The latest version completely ignores the fact the font's on the machine, and in the correct location.

Anything supposed to be in Dom Casual comes out in the Firefox default font, Arial I think.

I've looked in the various Firefox fora and can find lots of references to this problem, but unless I'm going blind again, no sign of a solution that works.

There are lots of references to changing various settings, which I've done, but it still comes out in the Firefox default.

Knowing that many of you must have lots of extra fonts loaded, I'm wondering if anyone here has the definitive solution to this one?
bilky asko

Nick Harvey wrote:Many, many years ago, I loaded an extra font, Dom Casual, onto one of my previous computers. Every time I've upgraded, I've loaded it onto the new machine.

I've had no problems whatsoever with using and seeing it, till the latest version of Firefox came along. Previous Firefox versions were okay. The latest version completely ignores the fact the font's on the machine, and in the correct location.

Anything supposed to be in Dom Casual comes out in the Firefox default font, Arial I think.

I've looked in the various Firefox fora and can find lots of references to this problem, but unless I'm going blind again, no sign of a solution that works.

There are lots of references to changing various settings, which I've done, but it still comes out in the Firefox default.

Knowing that many of you must have lots of extra fonts loaded, I'm wondering if anyone here has the definitive solution to this one?
It might be a problem with the Arial font itself, if this Yahoo! Answers answer is right.
Nick Harvey
God

Thanks for the try, but that's one I'd looked at and it's not the problem.
bilky asko

Nick Harvey wrote:Thanks for the try, but that's one I'd looked at and it's not the problem.
Is the extension of the font file .eot? If it is, then Firefox won't support it.
Nick Harvey
God

It's a .ttf, which as I understand it, ought to be okay.
bilky asko

Nick Harvey wrote:It's a .ttf, which as I understand it, ought to be okay.
Is this a font that you have set in a webpage, or is it where you've set the browser's default rendering font?
Nick Harvey
God

Set in a number of web pages.
bilky asko

Nick Harvey wrote:Set in a number of web pages.
Ah! If a page hasn't set the font using the CSS @font-face, Firefox won't display it properly, as far as I can tell.

I don't know if anyone else can shed light on this.
WillPS

Years (and years!) ago, I did some work for somebody who wanted to maintain support in pre-CSS versions of Netscape. I remember in order to get Firefox to do what I wanted it to I had to set CSS to match the HTML values.
Nick Harvey
God

This isn't an old problem, it's only started happening in the latest version, 3.6.12. All the previous versions displayed the page perfectly correctly.

It's a change they've introduced in 3.6.12 which has suddenly caused the problem.
bilky asko

Nick Harvey wrote:This isn't an old problem, it's only started happening in the latest version, 3.6.12. All the previous versions displayed the page perfectly correctly.

It's a change they've introduced in 3.6.12 which has suddenly caused the problem.
Looking at Mozilla's site, the only changes are a security issue, and a problem with frames. Did you upgrade from 3.6.11? Also, have you got a link to the page?