LimeWire finally out of limes

Philip

The thing is the latest version of LimeWire was less prone to sending out viruses as it let users vote for files which were spam. It was a lot more reliable.
fusionlad

FrostWire seems unaffected though?
On The Rocks

Gavin Scott wrote:Pete!

Well, you're right though, I really don't.

My culture-shift happened with Spotify, to the extent that I now pay around £120 per year for a premium sub, where I can honestly say I haven't spent money on music for really the last 5. Maybe £20 in that time. How they distribute that cash is up to them, but I get what I want and my conscience is clear.

So, there's money to be made outwith the "purchase from iTunes" model to which I'll never subscribe - so they've at least got something out of me.
I use Napster to Go which is £14.99 a month but I can download onto 3 PCs and 3 mp3 players (that can have Microsoft play for sure tracks so iPod is out) as much as I want mostly cd quality and legal. Yes when I stop paying I loose the tracks but for me it is great as I used to get more than one CD a month anyway.

Don't get me wrong I used to download illegally but now I know that made me know better than a shoplifter stealing the physical CD from HMV so I am glad they are closing in on them. They keep protesting that they are just the conduit but thankfully the court has seen through that.

-
Dr Lobster*

On The Rocks wrote:Don't get me wrong I used to download illegally but now I know that made me know better than a shoplifter stealing the physical CD from HMV so I am glad they are closing in on them. They keep protesting that they are just the conduit but thankfully the court has seen through that.

-
downloading an mp3 file is not the same as shoplifting.
On The Rocks

Dr Lobster* wrote:
On The Rocks wrote:Don't get me wrong I used to download illegally but now I know that made me know better than a shoplifter stealing the physical CD from HMV so I am glad they are closing in on them. They keep protesting that they are just the conduit but thankfully the court has seen through that.

-

It is obtaining a copy in an illegal manor in the same way stealing is. Of course that is only when the music is copyright.

-
Sput

On The Rocks wrote:It is obtaining a copy in an illegal manor in the same way stealing is.
Please stay on topic: this is not a planning permission thread.
Knight knight
Jake

On The Rocks wrote:
Dr Lobster* wrote:

-

It is obtaining a copy in an illegal manor in the same way stealing is. Of course that is only when the music is copyright.

-
You're confusing theft with copyright infringment. i.e. a criminal matter vs a civil matter. Of course the moral implications of both are for you to judge.
Gavin Scott
Admin

They are quite different things. One involves taking physical property, an asset, which has been paid for by the retailer, so they end up out of pocket in a measurable way - which they then pass back to the customer. The other is more accurately described as "denying the artist and producer potential income" by copying, in essence, a string of numbers.

Not everyone who would copy an MP3 would have chosen to buy a disc, so its very tricky to measure what the loss of that income would be - although undoubtedly there is; but the flip side is that the artist may gain more new listeners/fans/popularity, with a resultant boost to concert ticket sales, appearance fees and other, more tangible merchandise. Maybe.

In those wee adverts they put at the start of DVDs, the federation against copyright theft like to make it seem as though they are the same thing, but they're really not.
On The Rocks

Sput wrote:
On The Rocks wrote:It is obtaining a copy in an illegal manor in the same way stealing is.
Please stay on topic: this is not a planning permission thread.
Sorry, but I thought I was allowed to have the right to reply so to speak and was it really that off topic?

So do people think Linewire will be able to go legit like Napster or would the music industry not be interested?

-
Sput

I would make the noise MUHHHHHHHHH but apparently that's grossly offensive. So I'll just say this: it's a joke because you can't spell.
Knight knight
Critique

Sput wrote:I would make the noise MUHHHHHHHHH but apparently that's grossly offensive. So I'll just say this: it's a joke because you can't spell.
I only got it after you posted that. Also, it's LimeWire to 'On the Rocks', not Linewire. As you were.