Push email vs Battery life

rts

My email account for work and personal are sorted into folders for easy access and sorting of different messages. This works fine when I'm on a computer using Microsoft Exchange, but on my iPhone, the default setting is to push mail only to the inbox.

You can go into settings and select other folders you want mail to be pushed to.

My question though, and I've heard varying answers, is that does push for multiple folders drain the battery more? Should I stick to just pushing mail to my inbox, and fetching mail for subfolders when required?

It's the battle between quick access/convenience against charging your phone every ten seconds.
Dr Lobster*

i don't know the specific answer to the question, but it would seem logical that the operation which requires the most processing cycles will use the most power, and with this set up it could go either way - it might be easier for the device to synchronise the entire mailbox structure as it rather than put it into a single folder.

in any case, i think the only way you'll find out is try to do to a controlled test and see if it makes a difference either way. my gut feeling is that it won't make much difference either way.
nidave

rts wrote: My question though, and I've heard varying answers, is that does push for multiple folders drain the battery more? Should I stick to just pushing mail to my inbox, and fetching mail for subfolders when required?
I assume this is for a jebus phone?

It should not make any difference if you push to one or more accounts or folder, I don't understand the full reasoning but as far as I can make out push is like an active data connection that's always on so one folder / account or many it should not matter to battery life.

I turned push off and had it fetch every 30 min - this had a significant effect on battery life (for the better)
this site is quite interesting (read geeky!) http://notbrainsurgery.livejournal.com/35306.html