Help me find a Freeview box that doesn't die after a year

Dr Lobster*

thank you very much gentleman.

i think i'll see if i can find a pace box, failing that i'll see what tesco have.
Chris

I guess Chris' OnDigital box is still okay simply because Surrey hasn't been through DSO yet, so the muxes are still at the low rate of bicycles. I'm afraid, Chris, that you'll get forced into a change when DSO hits the Guildford relay, or whatever it is you watch from.
Indeed. With that in mind, does anyone know of a well-connected box, like my ondigital one (2x scarts, rca audio output, poss. rf) out on the market?

Because the impression I get is that a lot of the boxes these days are rather sparse on connectivity and only come with a scart socket (or two, if you're lucky) and not much more.
Nick Harvey
God

Very sparse indeed, Chris. You have to pay a lot for extra connectivity.

My main moan is the lack of RF out on the modern boxes. I like to pump the output of my boxes round the house on the old aerial cable, but that's not an easily available option nowadays.

Luckily I have a few old video recorders with knackered mechanics, so I hide them behind the rest of the kit and utilise them as SCART to RF converters.
WillPS

Dr Lobster* wrote:thank you very much gentleman.

i think i'll see if i can find a pace box, failing that i'll see what tesco have.
Didn't Pace give up with Freeview not long after launch because they couldn't compete on price?
Nick Harvey
God

WillPS wrote:Didn't Pace give up with Freeview not long after launch because they couldn't compete on price?
If you know Pace kit, you know all the tell-tale signs and the Philips box I inspected in Currys was definitely built by them.

It was about a tenner more expensive than all the others on the shelves, so your comment is probably valid.

I'd guess they went in with Philips just to keep in the market without actually having their name on display.
Luke-H

They're still making Freeview boxes, but they're branded as Philips boxes now, usually with a 'Designed by Pace' logo on the box.

EDIT: Aha, beaten to it.
WillPS

Ahhah! Well that seems like a pretty good marriage to me - I'm fond of Philips kit.
abby@freeview

Hello everyone. I wanted to let the readers of this thread know that Freeview HD is giving away five Technika boxes on Twitter. The competition is open until Thursday 2 September 2010, so if you fancy a chance at a free Technika box and free HD programming forever, click here for more information: http://www.freeview.co.uk/blog/?p=608

Also, Tesco has reduced its Technika Freeview HD box price again. Now it's only £70 plus double ClubCard points! :D
Community Manager
Freeview HD
Pete

^^ There you go Lobster, if you win that and it blows up you'll have Abby from (the marketing company working for) freeview to personally blame ;)
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Sput

Interestingly tesco are selling refurb freeview HD boxes with 12 month warranties (I'd wager they're returns from bad signal areas) on ebay for £40
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0467522055

I am here to RUIN it for Abby.
Knight knight
Nick Harvey
God

From the number of times a certain brand name got mentioned in that post, I'd say Abby is working for the marketing company for the manfacturer of the boxes and not just for the transmission platform.

Don't you just hate it when people join up just to do blatent fucking commercials.

Why don't they just get advertising space from Mr G Oogle so Metropol at least gets some revenue out of the deal?