Modifying the Flag

nidave

I had a thought the other day after watching the EDF advert.

For those that have not seen it they have recreated the Union flag in green and various textures.

Are we the only country where it is socially acceptable to play about with the national flag. I don't remember seeing anything like this with any other flag.

I mean things that have made it into the mainstream press and TV etc not novelty items.
nidave

I like the fact it can be toyed with, have some some amazing ones. I doubt the USA would allow such things to happen but I could be wrong.
Dr Lobster*

i like what they've done with it on the blighty tv channel. the union flag does indeed look so much better multicoloured.
lukey

In some countries it's seen vandalism to deface or alter the flag, but then if you changed the colours of something like the French flag, it'd just look like three coloured stripes and you couldn't really tell it's a flag. Same with many countries. The Union flag is very recognisable, so lends itself well to colour manipulation.

As long as they're not burning it, I don't really mind what people do with the flag, although it looks a lot classier in green - the red and blue version looks so trashy, especially when used on TV, like in the BBC's Eurovision selection shows, it just lowers the tone somehow (if that's even possible with Eurovision).

Perhaps it's time for a rebrand. Change the flag to green, and rename us "united kingdom" instead of "United Kingdom".
And what if they're burning it?
marksi

Is it ok to modify it by cable tying it to a lamp post and letting it stay there until it looks like a tattered rag? Seems to be acceptable here in NI, where we must have more flags per head of population than anywhere in the world.
Sput

In some countries it's seen vandalism to deface or alter the flag, but then if you changed the colours of something like the French flag, it'd just look like three coloured stripes and you couldn't really tell it's a flag. Same with many countries. The Union flag is very recognisable, so lends itself well to colour manipulation.

As long as they're not burning it, I don't really mind what people do with the flag, although it looks a lot classier in green - the red and blue version looks so trashy, especially when used on TV, like in the BBC's Eurovision selection shows, it just lowers the tone somehow (if that's even possible with Eurovision).

Perhaps it's time for a rebrand. Change the flag to green, and rename us "united kingdom" instead of "United Kingdom".

I thought the correct way was United|Kingdom, or was it UNITEDkingdom?
Knight knight
Pete

The USA know how to be tasteful with their flag by turning it into bikinis and the like.

I recall years ago there was a show called "The Tourist Trap" where British, German, American and some other country had tourists sent to the same fake resort. A selection of preposterous events occured throughout the holiday to all of them to see how different cultures react (the British for example, were much more willing to steal booze from an adandonned bar than the Germans).

The last day resulted in the resort being trashed and the appropriate flag being torn. Once the show's repmise was revealed most people forgot about the flag, with the exception of the Americans who continued to wail and moan and demand it be "buried appropriately."

If pride in your country ever has to desend to burying bits of material, then something is a bit wrong.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
nidave

According to QI the Boy Scouts of America are the biggest burner of American Flags in the world.

http://usscouts.org/ceremony/flagret2.asp - this is a good read, if only for comedy value!
iSon

Sput wrote:

I thought the correct way was United|Kingdom, or was it UNITEDkingdom?
I think you'll find it's [K]one
Good Lord!
Finn

iSon wrote:I think you'll find it's [K]one

I believe you'll find it's U1.
Alexia

Modified flags are very prevalent in football:

Cardiff City fans have a modified version of Y Ddraig Goch as seen here

Some Northern Ireland football fans wave this flag - there were a few at the international in Cardiff a few years back: