The disallowed goal - Could it have turned the match around

Malpass93

Would the result be different? In my opinion, yes. England were on the attack, an equalising goal might have spurred us on further.

Would England have deserved to progress? Not at all. We were dire.
The New Malpass.
rts

Malpass93 wrote:Would England have deserved to progress? Not at all. We were dire.
Afraid I have to agree with you on this one, Josh.
Steve in Pudsey

Apparently FIFA's official highlights edit of the match has scandalously omitted the non-goal!

Anyone else think it's time for football to "come home" - set up breakaway "World Football Association", based here in England - the country which invented the sport and which should have been running the show all along - which embraces the use of technology where it's appropriate.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Steve in Pudsey wrote:Apparently FIFA's official highlights edit of the match has scandalously omitted the non-goal!

Anyone else think it's time for football to "come home" - set up breakaway "World Football Association", based here in England - the country which invented the sport and which should have been running the show all along - which embraces the use of technology where it's appropriate.
You're suggesting that you take your ball home because you didn't get your way?

The Scots don't fill the holes in the St Andrews course up with concrete when the Spanish win the golf.

I suggest your team get better or get over it. With all due respect.
iSon

Gavin Scott wrote:
Steve in Pudsey wrote:Apparently FIFA's official highlights edit of the match has scandalously omitted the non-goal!

You're suggesting that you take your ball home because you didn't get your way?

The Scots don't fill the holes in the St Andrews course up with concrete when the Spanish win the golf.

I suggest your team get better or get over it. With all due respect.
Good Lord!
Steve in Pudsey

I'm suggesting that if the bunch of luddites which currently administers our game insists on stubbornly burying their collective head in the sand and ignoring all the calls to introduce - or even trial - technology which can reduce the inevitable human errors by officials (not just Lampard's goal, but offside goals have been wrongly given during this tournament), somebody else needs to step up to the plate and do the job properly.

Had we lost fairly I would be more inclined to "get over it". Yes, we played poorly, but we also had a psychological disadvantage going in 2-1 down at half time rather than level as it should have been. With all due respect.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Steve in Pudsey wrote:Had we lost fairly I would be more inclined to "get over it". Yes, we played poorly, but we also had a psychological disadvantage going in 2-1 down at half time rather than level as it should have been. With all due respect.
Oh come on. I know about as much about football as an orange-clad bimbo advertising beer; and even I could see they played atrociously.

Even if the whole world accepts the disallowed goal (and I think they probably do) they still played shite and so would have lost. Certainly didn't deserve to win. The pundits after the match didn't spare their wrath at the players or the manager.

I do think there's a case for technology in the game - but you've just told me there were other teams disadvantaged by the current rules too. Well, maybe this is the point to make a strong case to see if the governing body can be persuaded before the next FIFA event.

But you certainly can't change the rules mid-tournament, nor use it as an excuse for a shabby performance by the team.
dosxuk

Steve in Pudsey wrote:Had we lost fairly I would be more inclined to "get over it". Yes, we played poorly, but we also had a psychological disadvantage going in 2-1 down at half time rather than level as it should have been.
We're you actually watching the match, or were you just following the score? There's no way we were ever going to win that match, not when our defense has as much structure as one of Chie's arguments. If the goal was allowed, it may have been 4-2, but it could just as easily have spurred the Germans on more to get a deciding goal, and we'd lost 10-2, which would have reflected our playing ability on the day.

Call it karma if you want, as we were incredibly lucky not to lose against Algeria, so we had to have a spot of bad luck sooner or later.
Steve in Pudsey

Gavin Scott wrote:I do think there's a case for technology in the game - but you've just told me there were other teams disadvantaged by the current rules too. Well, maybe this is the point to make a strong case to see if the governing body can be persuaded before the next FIFA event.
That's my point. If the current governing body (which affirmed it's position on technology in March of this year) isn't prepared to reconsider (which until a couple of hours ago, it seemed that it wasn't) then there is a case for nations which feel this is an important issue to form a breakaway. Many sports have multiple governing bodies because of disagreements over how the incumbent is running matters.
But you certainly can't change the rules mid-tournament
Absolutely. What on earth makes you think I was suggesting that?
nor use it as an excuse for a shabby performance by the team.
I disagree, but I respect your point of view.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Steve in Pudsey wrote:That's my point. If the current governing body (which affirmed it's position on technology in March of this year) isn't prepared to reconsider (which until a couple of hours ago, it seemed that it wasn't) then there is a case for nations which feel this is an important issue to form a breakaway.
I guess a handful more incidents (and perhaps more pitchside arguments) may bring forward a positive outcome. An alternative league of that scale would dilute both the money and prestige of both, no?

Not every sport utilises technology. But to be fair not all sports have the benefit of hundreds of camera angles and even 3D vision.
But you certainly can't change the rules mid-tournament
Absolutely. What on earth makes you think I was suggesting that?
My mistake.
nor use it as an excuse for a shabby performance by the team.
I disagree, but I respect your point of view.
Ditto.
Alexia

Clearly you've never heard of the IFAB - The International Football Association Board - which sets the rules INCLUDING the use of Goal Line Technology. Of the 8 members, 4 are the FA, FAW, IFA and SFA, the other 4 are represented by FIFA. They are the ones who decide if GLT is to be used. You want to blame someone? Blame them.