The *OFFICIAL* Asda thread

James L H

Pete wrote:Tesco appear to have updated the software on their self-services and they're far fabber about accepting bags for life. Also the folders for fruit and veg etc are now using a folder style icon.

On a related note, has anyone else's Tesco got the new style touch screen tills? We have 8 branches in Dunders but only one (the fabbest naturally) has these new tills whereas all the others retain the classic ones with the big blue clackity enter button.

I note they appear to have given up on their painfully stupid idea of having the receipt printer on a big arm for the customer to take their own receipt and with newer refits its back with the operator where it belongs.
I like the feature where you can get your own receipt. I mainly take it myself just to see the cashier turn round to the printer and have to think for a second if I have took it myself, or if it hasn't printed yet. :lol:
Chris

On a related note, has anyone else's Tesco got the new style touch screen tills? We have 8 branches in Dunders but only one (the fabbest naturally) has these new tills whereas all the others retain the classic ones with the big blue clackity enter button.
Yes, our local one at Addlestone has these fancy new tills. They do look ridiculously smaller than their predecessors, but I suppose it's now just a touchscreen LCD with a swipe card device on the side, and new software on the base unit.

They're still using the same clunky old printers, obviously nobody thought to refresh the printer hardware at the same time - my receipt came out with half of the print down one side very feint like some of 'em do when they're overused and nobody has bothered to do maintainence.
bilky asko

Pete wrote:Tesco appear to have updated the software on their self-services and they're far fabber about accepting bags for life. Also the folders for fruit and veg etc are now using a folder style icon.

I note they appear to have given up on their painfully stupid idea of having the receipt printer on a big arm for the customer to take their own receipt and with newer refits its back with the operator where it belongs.
The Tesco Extra at St Stephen's Hull has the new touch screen tills - without the buttons it looks very spartan, and just plain odd.
all new Phil

EXCITING NEWS

I spotted some new style packaging for Smart Price products in Asda yesterday. Similar colours, but different and more prominent logo.
all new Phil

I know how much everyone here loves talking about till systems - I was in an Asda the other day that I don't usually go to. I noticed that one of their manned checkouts (the one closest to the self scan ones) was different to all the others. It was all green and black, and looked more like the self scan ones. Think it had a touch screen as well.

Not sure if it's something they're testing, or maybe it can be used as both a manned and self scan checkout, but I'd never seen one before. The checkout assistant and the screen was on the opposite side of the checkout to the customers, and it was the same full size as the rest of the checkouts.
all new Phil

I felt this thread warranted dragging up given the big news that Asda seem to have a new slogan - "You're Better Off at Asda". Quite clever double meaning. I've only seen it once on TV, but it was complete with some new design elements that haven't made it to the website yet.

I think I saw it on TV anyway, it may have been a dream.

I have to say however, I used to go to Asda a fair bit in the past, but I just can't be bothered with it any more. It's only USP seems to be that they think they're a bit cheaper, and I don't think that's as big a sell as they seem to think it is. I'd rather spend a little more (which in reality is probably a pound or two per shop) for better quality from Morrisons or Sainsburys. Asda seem to have drifted into Tesco-territory of uninspiring food and rough customers.

Oh, there we go - as I type, the Asda advert came on TV. It wasn't a dream, it was REAL.
Alexia

I like ASDA. Keeps the scum out of Lidl.
scottishtv

all new Phil wrote:It wasn't a dream, it was REAL.

Yup, but I'm not sure I approve of the other slogan also appearing along the bottom with another appearance of the ASDA logo.
james2001

Just seen a TV advert for "Wal-mart Black Friday by Asda"- seems quite a bizarre thing for them to be doing, seeing as the Walmart name is meaningless to most people in this country, and Black Friday (which I think is basically the closest American equivalent to our Boxing Day sales- being the day after Thanksgiving, which we don't celebrate) even more so.
wells

james2001 wrote:Just seen a TV advert for "Wal-mart Black Friday by Asda"- seems quite a bizarre thing for them to be doing, seeing as the Walmart name is meaningless to most people in this country, and Black Friday (which I think is basically the closest American equivalent to our Boxing Day sales- being the day after Thanksgiving, which we don't celebrate) even more so.
It's odd, but I think it's a case of them acknowledging their American ownership, hence why it's them who're able to bring you this. We have started to hear a bit more about Cyber Monday over here now, which is a direct relation to Black Friday so that might be another reason why they're doing it.

It does beg the question whether this is the start of Walmart reintroducing the brand in the UK. These things always do seem to come around in cycles. Which is why I'm sure at some point the logic at Sky will change with regards Pick TV and the Sky brand.

Did the advert feature the newish Walmart logo? I wouldn't be surprised if Asda adopted it at some point. I think a lot of people secretly like the idea of shopping in the same place their American's cousins do and they've not been doing that well since they started to play down their links to Walmart, so who knows.

EDIT: http://www.asda.com/black-friday/index.html?item=e2
all new Phil

Spotted yet *another* redesign of Smart Price packaging last time I was in Asda. White and orange - possibly Walmart inspired?