The *OFFICIAL* Asda thread

Gavin Scott
Admin

bilky asko wrote:
Gavin Scott wrote:I'm paying 50p per 'nana from the convenience shop at the moment. I wonder what that equates to per kilo.

Mostly he only seems to have the ones only fit to make banana bread, with thinning skin and blotches like liver spots. I imagine its similar to gobbling an octogenarian.

But PlymouthStu may correct me.

*ZING*
When I used to buy 2 bananas every day from Sainsbury's, they weighed in at about 70p. I stopped getting them as they were not ripe enough, and I wanted to eat the bananas on the day.

Fun fact: bananas lose weight as they ripen. Buying them unripened therefore costs more if going by weight.
Scotmid's fair trade ones are teeny and too green. I was tempted to try popping one in my mouth sideways to make it look like the Joker's grin, but thought better of it. It would have fit though.

I love a bit of fair trade as much as the next man, but why does the produce appear (in the case of bananas at least) inferior?
DJDave

I notice they have put a list up of the new Netto revamps http://your.asda.com/2011/6/24/we-re-ge ... permarkets

None of the ones by me are on that list :lol: which is odd as I know the one in town is not getting changed as were getting a new ASDA in November but the other 2 in the area are not down yet.
WillPS

Sheffield Queens Road is my nearest supermarket from next month, so I am happy.
woah

WillPS wrote:Sheffield Queens Road is my nearest supermarket from next month, so I am happy.
Just got rejected for a 16h/pw job there, not my proudest moment :lol: It amazes me considering some of the brain-dead people who I've seen working at ASDAs in the past..
AJ

An "Asda Supermarket" just opened around the corner from me last week, and I'm very impressed to be honest.

Given the size of the Netto that used to be there, they've done well to stock pretty much everything you'd need - along with DVDs and CDs aswell.

There's 6 tills - 3 are self service, 2 are normal tills, and 1 is a kiosk style till.

The shop has been really busy ever since it opened - there's already talk of expansion.
Chie

woah wrote:
WillPS wrote:Sheffield Queens Road is my nearest supermarket from next month, so I am happy.
Just got rejected for a 16h/pw job there, not my proudest moment :lol: It amazes me considering some of the brain-dead people who I've seen working at ASDAs in the past..
I have applied for a job at Asda four times over the years and have been rejected every time.

When I heard about the interview process recently, I was thankful for having been rejected all those times. At the group interview stage the interviewers get you to cluck like a chicken, complete with arm movements, in front of the group. It's designed to ascertain how extrovert you are, apparently. It's just as well I never made it to a group interview because I would have glared at them in disgust and calmly flounced out.
DJDave

Yeah my sister went years back and they had to dress in a bin bag :o I got asked to a interview once but luckly the company I was a temp at asked me back and I have been there since ;)
woah

Chie wrote:
woah wrote:
I have applied for a job at Asda four times over the years and have been rejected every time.

When I heard about the interview process recently, I was thankful for having been rejected all those times. At the group interview stage the interviewers get you to cluck like a chicken, complete with arm movements, in front of the group. It's designed to ascertain how extrovert you are, apparently. It's just as well I never made it to a group interview because I would have glared at them in disgust and calmly flounced out.
I'm not sure sitting at a desk and scanning toilet rolls involves being enough of an extrovert to act like a chicken in front of strangers - nor does stacking shelves and guiding old ladies to the bread aisle. Christ, I'm glad it didn't go through!

The online application was hardly simple either, took me nearly an hour to complete! Numerical and literal assessments and an endless list of questions about your personality - and now I'm rejected I can't apply for ASDA jobs for another 6 months! I'm far from convinced the zombie workers at ASDA acted like chickens to get their jobs!
Chie

After increasing their profit margin on multivitamins by many hundreds of percent, Asda's chief finance officer comes out in a show of faux sympathy for the plight of hard-hit families, blaming the government and the media.

British consumers starting to ration, says Asda boss
WillPS

Chie wrote:After increasing their profit margin on multivitamins by many hundreds of percent, Asda's chief finance officer comes out in a show of faux sympathy for the plight of hard-hit families, blaming the government and the media.

British consumers starting to ration, says Asda boss
You're looking at one specific product. The price of that particular product may be affected by all sorts of things.

I wouldn't describe multivitamins as a 'family essential' or even an 'essential'.

If the price of something like, I dunno, Bread, or apples, or eggs had tripled I'd see your point.

It's quite possible that the multivitamins were a product where ASDA made a loss at the original price, and have simply re-prioritised.
Sput

Yes, let's not forget that most people are not actually nocturnal.
Knight knight