Hangover Cures

iSon

Keep them coming today. And I am SURE we have had a thread about this before, but I'm afraid I'm too lazy to search and dredge it up.

So what are your best hangover cures - or more to the point, hangover preventions?

You see, I'm a devil - going out tonight with my work colleagues but have to be up bright and breezy in the morning for work and I don't fancy a stinking headache all day. Yes, I know the best course of action would be to not drink at all and that's what I intend to do but no doubt I will end up having the odd one during the course of the night. So what's the best way to shore up my body to prevent me feeling like rubbish in the morning if I do have a couple of cheeky ones?
Good Lord!
Pete

A big glass of water and two asprin *before bed* have always done me better than anything else. Boring but it seems to work.

McDonalds breakfasts are also fab.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Sput

I'm told a banana before bed is a good thing, and not just LIKE THAT *Ithankyou* as it restores potassium levels that are otherwise depleted in the big liver detox. I'm also firmly in the "massive glass of water" camp.

Also, drink white wine instead of beer :)
Knight knight
Dr Lobster*

after a weekend of drinking (which doesn't happen all that often these days, due to the effect you describe) i find a two small cups of sarson's malt vinegar before bedtime and then again in the morning will get you back on track.

the chemical reaction between the alcohol and acetic acid in your gut will eventually turn the alcohol in your blood to harmless gases.
Nick Harvey
God

More wine!
Alexia

I find Monster munch a good prevention.

A couple of weeks ago I wet the head of a new pub (OK, old pub under new owners) with three bottles of Bud, several pints of John Smith's, half a glass of 6% scrumpy cider, plus a shot of (in order) Sambuca, Jagermeister, Absinthe, Jack Daniels. The next day I ate a plate of dry roast potatoes, sunk a load of cokes, and all was well by 6pm.
ashley b

I usually find a good vomit around 5pm the follwoing day has me fine by 6pm.

As for prevention, never managed to find one. I keep thinking I'm on to something, try it again the next time and it doesn't work.There can be times I can stay out late and feel fine waking up at 9 in the morning for work, and others where I can't crawl out of bed till gone 5pm and I've never managed to find the thing that makes the difference.
*whistle*
lukey

I've never known a morning-after cure to work - the best I can achieve is eating something usually lifts me from 'woe is me' to 'able to amble into uni to lie over a sofa'.

Downing water the night before is the only preventative thing to at least accelerate me to that latter stage the next morning :)
Ant

Irn Bru. ALWAYS.

Apart from that, I don't think there is a cure. I tend to be alright if I have a few large glasses of water before going to bed. Which I pretty much always forget (or am physically unable) to do.
nwtv2003

I don't think there's any cure, other than just carrying on your day as normal, although I do feel that having a drink after your hangover tends to settle the stomach later on during the day, no matter how much you don't want a drink.

Normally I'm not too bad, but Jagerbombs, as nice as they are, the taste still lurks 12 hours later...
steve
Gavin Scott
Admin

Water/diet coke, food.

I have to accept that I'm going to feel crap, so try not to drink too much. I reach a natural limit with something like cider; but drinking spirits at a party or at home is more of a problem as you can put far too much away - so I tend not to.