Norton 360: even protects your computer whilst it's off

Philip

Sput wrote:That's impressive considering the cpu has no power in S3 sleep mode (the one most computers go into). All norton could do is wake the computer up from sleep and do its checks before taking it back there.
Looking at some websites again now, some people say Norton actually does that - so either Norton is lying or someone got their facts wrong.
Sput

I find the likelihood of it being true to be low, you don't see hard drives spinning up in S3 sleep either, and that'd be necessary.
Knight knight
Neil Jones

Dr Lobster* wrote:does anybody know just how much commission those sales assistance make on a sale of norton internet security?

it must be worth their while to make stuff up to get the sale and try to scare you by saying that your laptop will get fooked if you don't buy it.
Stick Norton 360 on anything and it will be a magnet for infections. I read all these reviews on anti-virus software and everything in magazines, on-line and find that they get generally positive reviews. Then go to work the next day and find three heavily infected PCs "protected" by the same products that have glowing reports and I think, so what went wrong?

Admittedly, no anti-virus program is 100% effective. It will never be the case.
However the number of infected PCs that I see in my line of work would suggest the problem isn't the anti-virus software "letting things through" but the users who just click Yes on everything without reading it, and then wonder why they're infected.

I personally believe there is no substitute for personal common sense, and anti-virus is simply a market catering to thick people who shouldn't really be on-line in the first place. I also believe if everybody stopped using Internet Explorer full-stop and used any other browser, the number of active infections would drop dramatically, the "infected" sites would drop dramatically (whoever thought it would be a good idea to allow ActiveX controls on web pages of all things needs shooting). Therefore the sites drop, the infections drop and theoretically there would be no need for Internet Security software.