The great beverage debate.

WillPS

I consider myself something of a connoisseur of fizzy pop... my favourites are those Fentimans drinks, most of the stuff Barr make and Mountain Dew.
Alexia

Sput wrote:
Alexia wrote:
Sput wrote:I'm disappointed Alexia! I thought you would be extolling the refreshing virtues of a stone in some hot water! ;)
Some strange things have come out of your mouth in recent times Sput.. but I can genuinely say I have no clue what the Toblerone you are going on about! :)
Awww not to worry, I just thought you'd have a more luddite beverage :)
Luddite? Moi? (looks around flat at 4:3 TV, analogue clock, video shelf, Windows 98 music production PC, Gillette Sensor Excel...) ;)

Not so much a luddite as a bit cautious. I'm not on the cutting edge of technology, I wait for the knife to be sharpened.
Pete

Chie wrote:Starbucks, the shop that gives you a 10p discount for bringing your own mug. They've got some cheek.
Might I ask exactly what the problem with this is? Is it the concept of the discount or the size of it?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Chie

Hymagumba wrote:
Chie wrote:Starbucks, the shop that gives you a 10p discount for bringing your own mug. They've got some cheek.
Might I ask exactly what the problem with this is? Is it the concept of the discount or the size of it?
It's the idea that they basically charge you £2.50 (or £2.60 at the moment, as they always put the prices up by 10p at Christmas as well) and openly admit on the menu, albeit indirectly, that they actually add 10p on to the price of their already stupidly expensive coffee flavoured water in order to pay for the pot washing!
Cache

Chie wrote:
Hymagumba wrote:
It's the idea that they basically charge you £2.50 (or £2.60 at the moment, as they always put the prices up by 10p at Christmas as well) and openly admit on the menu, albeit indirectly, that they actually add 10p on to the price of their already stupidly expensive coffee flavoured water in order to pay for the pot washing!
I believe that its actually a 25p discount (albeit it's been a while since I took my tumbler so it may have changed since then).

Also, you're wrong about the money being compensation for washing up, it's actually for sustainability. Just think how much paper could be saved if everyone getting a take-out cup instead had a tumbler of their own? The discount is a good incentive to do so.
Oh, and perhaps you need your tastebuds checking, because it is actually real coffee that they serve which tastes vastly different to "coffee flavoured water" (which of course is instant coffee). Tsk.

On a nicer note, thanks to everyone for their answers so far. Very interesting reading :)
Pete

Welllllll.... starbucks do over-roast their beans. I've always preferred costa to be honest.

But yes, its more likely to avoid paper cups rather than washing the china cups. Although they likely get through a vast number of those too.
cdd

Hymagumba wrote:I've always preferred costa to be honest.
UGH.

I know I'm in some stupid train station in the middle of nowhere when I look around and all I can find is Costa Coffee / AMT thingy.

As for the starbucks 10p discount, it's not exactly very much money. Rather like the 5p M&S bag discount which does nothing to encourage me to bring my own bag. Tesco and Waitrose outdo M&S though with their "hide the bags" policy: you get a massive guilt trip, disapproving looks, and the slow presentation of about 50% of the bags you actaully need to fit all your shopping in.

What do you do with the dirty mug once you're done with it anyway.
Pete

M&S are meant to hide their bags if I'm not mistaken, it's more just individual checkout operators not listening to the orders from up above.
marksi

I rarely drink coffee, but I'd say 6 cups of tea a day would be about an average. Nambarrie generally, though Punjana is acceptable. I do believe that if the BBC ran out of tea bags, television and radio production would cease within hours.
GavBelfast

Speaking of Nambarrie, whatever happened to Namosa?
Lorns

Tea for me. Has to be PG, white, no sugar and brewed for about 3 mins. Best from a tea pot. But at work, a pyramid bag in my bone china mug will do. I'm also partial to Twinnings Green tea, quite refreshing with a slice or squeeze of lemon, no sugar.

I gave up coffee. I got some raging headaches and shakes for a while.
Mental anxiety, Mental breakdowns, Menstrual cramps, Menopause... Did you ever notice how all our problems begin with Men?