What is the Co-op known as where you are?

cwathen

Awww, I loved the Co-operative Pioneer brand, with the logo which I can only assume was inspired by somebody staring at the Windows logo bottom left of their screen. Ahead of the game though, in ditching the cloverleaf device, and the 'welcome' signage was definitely a retrograde step.
Not a bad brand, but it's implementation ended up being very much on the cheap being that it came at such confused time for CRS though.

When they bought Lo-Cost from Argyll in 1994, the old branding (which I think went back to at least the early 80's if not the late 70's) was very quickly replaced by something which was (at the time) a lot more modern and (slightly) more upmarket. There was a new red & yellow logo and a new slogan (remember 'Enjoy a Lo-Cost of living' ?). Full new exterior signeage and cosmetic refits came with it. As far as I'm aware, this was rolled out to most if not all of the store estate by 1995.

Then only a year later, they decided to rebrand Lo-Cost, Leos and Pioneer all to 'Co-Operative Pioneer'. I don't know what kind of money was spent at Leos (or the original Pioneers) but being that the Lo-Cost stores had only had money spent on them a year before, the Pioneer rebranding was very cheaply done and for all the stores I've seen amounted to simply covering over all the new shiney Lo-Cost signs and replacing them with a couple of premade Pioneer boards which were quite small and not customised to the individual store (many stores then ended up with huge blank areas on their shopfronts) and some window vinyls. At the time it all looked a bit crap. Presumably something more extensive would have eventually followed when full refits came about but of course it never happened when CWS took over a few years later who simply wanted a chain of Co-Op branded food stores and had no interest in retaining anything which CRS had done - the bastards even shut down Homeworld.

I'll agree that CWS's 'Welcome' branding (and that stupid script font) was a retrograde step. It *did* mean proper refits for a lot of the Lo-Cost/Pioneer stores, but the new format those refits brought in essentially downgraded these stores from supermarkets into oversized convenience shops with higher pricing and nothing like the ranging or facilities that had been there before. Definately not the way forward, with what were once bust bustling supermarkets turned into relatively quiet shops yet still occupying the same units and having to pay the same rents. No surprise that a lot of these stores were either sold or closed.

I can't agree with you on the cloverleaf logo though. To me, that *is* the definitive co-op logo, and if there is a move towards a single branding, then that is what should be used. 'The Co-Operative' which TCG use is just too wordy and consequently, people just don't say it. There have been some excellent branding schemes with the cloverleaf logo in recent years (the PSW 'Your Local...' chain which existed before PSW was taken over by TCG for instance) and I view TCG's 'The Co-Operative Food' brand with it's awkward stupid name which no one in the real world actually uses to very much be a retrograde step from the various names which those stores traded under before.
woah

WillPS wrote: Of all the McDonalds I've come across, I only know of 3 that are no more. Chessington's and Alton Towers' became Burger Kings following a contractual dispute with Merlin, so they hardly count. The only real example is the Spaceship one in East Anglia, and I don't think that was ever franchised.

Based on this anecdotal evidence, my opinion is that SubWay is relatively easy and cheap to set up, for far more risky a proposition. McDonalds require shedloads of investment, but are a far safer proposition.
Seeing as you know Sheffield - there used to be one at the top of The Moor years and years ago, on the corner of the building opposite Debenhams, I think it closed in about 2005 supposedly because the people who own the company put the rent very high. It's now a tat shop called 'Stone The Crows' which opened in about 2008 - old McDs features like the doors, and the area where the counter/kitchen used to be can still be seen if you go in.
WillPS

I think the cloverleaf was an okay device by itself, but I've never seen a storefront with it which I think looked good.
WillPS

woah wrote:
WillPS wrote: Of all the McDonalds I've come across, I only know of 3 that are no more. Chessington's and Alton Towers' became Burger Kings following a contractual dispute with Merlin, so they hardly count. The only real example is the Spaceship one in East Anglia, and I don't think that was ever franchised.

Based on this anecdotal evidence, my opinion is that SubWay is relatively easy and cheap to set up, for far more risky a proposition. McDonalds require shedloads of investment, but are a far safer proposition.
Seeing as you know Sheffield - there used to be one at the top of The Moor years and years ago, on the corner of the building opposite Debenhams, I think it closed in about 2005 supposedly because the people who own the company put the rent very high. It's now a tat shop called 'Stone The Crows' which opened in about 2008 - old McDs features like the doors, and the area where the counter/kitchen used to be can still be seen if you go in.
How could I forget The Moor! :o

Moorhead house was due for demolition I believe? The student accommodation above was due to clear out just before the recession hit to make it happen, but as we know The Moor is all a bit arrested development at the moment. Surely Stone The Crows don't pay a higher rent than McD's did.

Yeah, I love spotting old features. You can also see brackets which would have held up the golden arches.
woah

WillPS - yes, I hear that bit is to be demolished but I can't see it happening any time soon - the area where the new market is being built has been an empty piece of land for at least a year. Similarly Park Hill has some new windows, but the rest is just an empty shell - complete disaster zone, god knows when it's going to be finished.

Regarding Stone the Crows - I really do doubt that they pay a high rate of rent, the shop spent a few years empty so they were probably flogging it to whoever they could get. I think they also own the old Sunwins department store down the road from it which was used as a temporary (and fascinating) TKMaxx - I doubt TKMaxx will have paid a huge amount either.
WillPS

woah wrote:WillPS - yes, I hear that bit is to be demolished but I can't see it happening any time soon - the area where the new market is being built has been an empty piece of land for at least a year. Similarly Park Hill has some new windows, but the rest is just an empty shell - complete disaster zone, god knows when it's going to be finished.

Regarding Stone the Crows - I really do doubt that they pay a high rate of rent, the shop spent a few years empty so they were probably flogging it to whoever they could get. I think they also own the old Sunwins department store down the road from it which was used as a temporary (and fascinating) TKMaxx - I doubt TKMaxx will have paid a huge amount either.
Park Hill is a fascinating example of how a building can transform seamlessly from one sort of white elephant into another. I have no doubt that if it ever does take tenants again the whole thing will quickly descend back to the farce it's spent most of its life being. Still would love to live there for a little while.

Yeah I loved it when TKMaxx had the United Co-op for a while; really really dated interior. Can't see that unit seeing any action for a good while. I loved spotting all the "Sunwin Cares" signage.
woah

It was so 80s it was hilarious! There's some pics taken after it closed as a TKMaxx here, some good stuff - http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=sunwins+sheffield&f=hp

Loving all the gold tinted glass and terrible chandeliers.
WillPS

All roads lead to the Co-op!
Andrew

I was in North Wales the other day and noticed that the Co-op was known as The Cooperative Bwyd

Sadly all the other signage besides the main sign were in english, so I don't know what the welsh translation for 'Good with Food' is!
nwtv2003

Andrew wrote:I was in North Wales the other day and noticed that the Co-op was known as The Cooperative Bwyd

Sadly all the other signage besides the main sign were in english, so I don't know what the welsh translation for 'Good with Food' is!
They were all pretty much The Cooperative Bwyd when I was visiting the Aberwystwyth area a couple of months ago, popped into a big one in Aber, which looked like an old Somerfield by the looks of things, don't remember if they had 'Good with food' translated, but it was the usual bi-lingual affair with aisle signs etc.
steve
Alexia

Andrew wrote:I was in North Wales the other day and noticed that the Co-op was known as The Cooperative Bwyd

Literally : Da gyda bwyd, although I think the gyda gets shortened to â.